Geek talk (Science/Space/Tech etc)

Yus, We Indians are proper dons when it comes to studies…haha

I have no idea how you keep shitting out excellent mathematicians and physicists tbh lol

however that might mean entry exams (or however it works) are hard as fk over there I just realised lol

2 Likes

Well we do constitute for 25% of world population

3 Likes

You know, if I didn’t do medicine, I’d want to do astronomy.

All the equations and whatnot put me off, but I find this shit so interesting.

Love the thread title change tho :arteta:

@Trion if you want you can buy and read Einstein’s PhD thesis lol

But yeah I can imagine entry standards into Indian unis to be massive. But hey, if you have the passion, go for it!

People hate Mathematics so I doubt there will be much competition

1 Like

LOL I hadn’t noticed, mods please :sweat_smile: change it back, I get it, I’ll chill out ^^

1 Like

The knowledge you guys have is incredible. @oompa’s brain would fill it’s own universe! I feel somewhat outta place in here :sweat_smile:

I do like a bit of astrology and other worldie sky stuff though. Can’t beat a bit of Red Auroras :heart:

1 Like

Please don’t! I love listening to people who work in STEM. I have a cousin who’s a chemist, I’ll look up topics to ask her about when I know I’m going to see her. She has soooo much passion and it’s a blast to talk to her about it.

I made the title change, Senpai.

Now that you have revealed your profession, we expect you to post Luca esque updates from here on.

Cluster collision in A-oph
Comet passed by XYZ planet in e-Eri

We rely on you oompa

2 Likes

Yeah that’s very much the gist of Life 3.0 aswell. Although not too far in, really recommend it.

Very jealous that you get to catch him. A lot of his stuff about being morally ahead of how technologically advanced we are makes good sense when you think of it. Take the ability to wipe out capitalism with Universal Basic Income, it’s a real eye opener as to what we really don’t know as to how near we are to having such revolutionary abilities.

Or even programming a driverless car, look at the ‘Trolley Problem’ and then you get an idea what sort of insight is required to code something with a relatively linear purpose.

2 Likes

I was talking to my kid about the future the other day and we got on the topic of quantum computers. He wanted to learn more about it so I pointed him to this article. It does a good job of defining and explaining what it is, where we’re at, and the problems we have to solve first…

Quantum computing will change the world. We just have to figure out the size and cooling problems and decay rate, and… yeah. I say build them in space…

2 Likes

So…flat earthers. Discuss. :joy:

(Any objections to a thread name change to “Science and stuff”? The three line thread title is triggering me) :slight_smile:

oh its true…its DAMN TRUE!! :henry2:

1 Like

Ban? @oompa

1 Like

Dude, I’m just asking questions.

2 Likes

I don’t know man, I’m not the pope of science. If I look out from the window, seems pretty flat to me.

Besides, my friend once told me he went outside and put a really round ball on the ground.

The ball didn’t roll nowhere.

So.

Idno man.

Smh can’t believe this heel turn

In other news:

Lost of cool stuff occurring in RNA, epigenetic and protein research.

One bane of my life is that the original papers the research the news is talking about are never linked in the article.

I get it you have to dress it up for the public, but it’s important to be able to check these media aren’t being too liberal with the truth.

For example here is the latest relevant paper here, even the abstract can give some context to the article:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1807838?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori%3Arid%3Acrossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub%3Dpubmed

2 Likes

btw you said you did medicine, what does that mean? are you a doctor? or studying to be a doctor?

On 18th April, Hubble Telescope completed 29 years in space

1 Like