Gabriel Martinelli (11)

For everyone saying that they would rather have Martinelli upfront that Lacazette - which is a fair shout tbh,- come summer if we send off Laca would you just replace him in house with Gabriel or would you want another CF brought in that’s in the 22-26 age range?

I personally believe Martinelli will get enough minutes and is a ridiculously nice option to have at 3rd choice striker, 4th choice winger.

1 Like

I’d want another forward brought in myself. Kids got presence but is very raw for me.
I’m not sure he’s got enough goals in him.

3 Likes

Well Aubameyang is 32 next season.
Despite accounting for modern footballer fitness level, we have to prepare a backup for Aubameyang.
Relying on Martinelli to do that at age of 19-20 would be too much so yeah we should definitely bring in a striker.

2 Likes

I think technically not good enough for a wing position like others have said.

Not enough goals in him I’m not so sure @Stroller, you may be right but it is early days, many prolific strikers didn’t have an abundance of goals in them at Martinelli’s age.

I don’t understand this limited technical ability talk, I always thought he looked very good on the ball and exceptional off it in and around the box.

1 Like

Yeah true. Just don’t want to put the burden of responsibility on him at his age.
Think people over hype how good he is. Potential for sure.

1 Like

Just asking for more reps not to shoulder the burden by carrying the team, if he isn’t good enough to deputise for Auba then what’s the point in him being here?

I do believe he’s good enough btw.

1 Like

Martinelli with a ridiculous overhead kick today in some specialized drill that the team was having him run by himself. You can’t really see much from this angle but it seems noteworthy to me simply because this isn’t the type of special training you do with a player you view a winger long term. You practice this 1000 times because you see the player as a striker.

I think he is Auba’s deputy next year.

5 Likes

Martinelli be his deputy. He will be 20 in the summer and does have like 30+ games for us. If he’s not ready to fill in a deputy role at that point than when will he be?

From a viewpoint that we need to slim this squad down further it doesn’t make sense to sign another centre forward. Especially if Nketiah is going nowhere. @Powderfinger that also makes the most sense from a squad planning perspective. Since it’s very likely Willian and Pepe are going to be here next season too. That is four wingers in front of Martinelli.

2 Likes

Maybe…but it’s a four second clip…

4 Likes

You don’t think I can reliably discern the club’s long term plan for Martinelli from four seconds of grainy footage shot from some weird camera 50 meters above the field?

5 Likes

FT is losing it over this. Wasn’t it obvious from before that he was more of a inside forward whenever he played? Arteta had him fill in Auba’s role whenever he used him.

Wow, really bad defending :pepe1:

1 Like

What probably is going to happen though is that Lacazette will run down his contract and will go for a big signing bonus at his next club.

Don’t think the club will allow it. Not that they haven’t done it before(like last summer) but I want to think they’re more prepared now.

Allow what? If he’s not prepared to leave he will just sit out I reckon. It’s not like he has to play because of national team minutes.

I think if a team shows interest in Laca this summer and puts a three year deal in front of him that will suit all parties and he will be off.

7 Likes

We are gonna get like 10m for Laca at most. Dood isn’t a good striker and he’s in the last year of his contract. He’s pretty trash ngl.

1 Like

The silence has been broken, finally

5 Likes

As expected from the hierarchy that left Saliba out of the EL based on ‘sporting criteria’

2 Likes