Football Should not be Special

It’s genuinely worth listening to for Musa Okwongas laugh alone. :grin:

Your long opening post says this does more to you than you would like to admit though.

I’m not saying I don’t care about football. I’m saying it’s not my top priority.

And it doesn’t take any interest in football at all to be disgusted by it at the moment.

2 Likes

I don’t think this pandemic will change football much after the dust has setlled. The early stages you may see a few differences, but in a year or two it’ll be like nothing ever happened. The same people currently moaning here and there will still be watching and loving the game.

Ppl finally coming around to my feelings on why the FA Cup >>>> Champions League :grin::+1::+1:

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, football can appeal to me as a “warm blanket of comfort” when autumn starts and finishes, the clocks go back and those cold winter weekend afternoons set in. You don’t want to go out- you want to stay in and watch the footy.

However, with corona doing what it’s done, I think people will be more appreciative of the weekend at that point. Let’s go out for a meal, let’s make the most of the daylight hours, go down the pub, group running or going down the cinema. Heck, I can even imagine dating becoming ever so popular (with everyone becoming a year older, their biological clocks will be ticking louder than ever)

As Leper said, football would be way down that list.

3 Likes

Tbh I’m talking as a television viewer not a match going one

Going out is much better than sitting inside watching a game. I’d never do that haha. Unless it was Arsenal and it was a big game.

Society in general should have a good long reflection in the direction it’s going after this.

This is nothing/only the tutorial level compared to what climate change has in store for us.

3 Likes

Football players in first divisions that we care about are rich. Football itself if a lucrative business.

Rich people/ rich businesses get preferences in society…in other news, the sky is blue, Mike Dean is incompetent, and Jose Mourinho is a petty cunt.

I don’t see the point in complaining about shit like this unless you are going to make a complaint about capitalism as a whole. It’s just the way things are and it shouldn’t be surprising to anyone nor should it really work any other way under a capitalist system.

It’s selective complaining, basically, and I for one am not gonna complain about the a major entertainment passion I have being taken care of, especially when incompetent cunts at the heads of government like Trump have already been tested twice and will always receive all the care and preference possible, and people would actually be indignant and complaining if they weren’t.

All the sackings and furlough stuff is literally just how business works. Are my friends who own a hotel in Mallorca immoral cunts for laying off their staff, when they know they won’t have any income for a year and need to come to an agreement with the banks to stay afloat? No, they are just doing what businesses do.

Kinda big pet peeve of mine when people want businesses to ‘act morally’, or whatever their vague conception of ‘morally’ is. That’s just not how business works and if you have a problem with it I would suggest proposing other systems of world order than capitalism because otherwise businesses would be stupid and basically playing the game badly to do anything else than what they are doing. And the Premier League and La Liga and all these clubs are just businesses like any other.

Also how is football not society and people? That makes no sense.

?? Football is quite literally both of those things.

I see you beat me to it, SD. Touché.

2 Likes

We are being a tad harsh with the leagues.

It shouldn’t be a football league’s responsibility to determine whether or not it is safe to continue playing matches.

WHO & Individual government should have been ahead of it all and determined it for them.
These are or have dedicated medical experts on their panel whose sole job is to determine the spread, while FA would be lead by former footballers who didn’t even go to College.

It won’t be.

To clarify,. @AbouCuellar what I mean when I say football isn’t society and it isn’t people is that

A) Football is not an integral part of society, its not something that has to be protected as a priority and its not something that should command societies resources during this emergency.

B) Football isn’t more important than people’s lives. The second it consumes a resource - a hospital bed because a player broke a leg for example, a covid 19 test that should be in the hands of the NHS, it is too costly. Protecting people’s lives is what matters, not this sport.

2 Likes

As far as appreciating sport again of course every aspect of normality will be once it does come back. But in terms of where it stacks up in priority we’ll see who earns their living from it and who the die hards are.

Because sport can lick horseshit compared to health, relationships, friends/loved ones, social lives, careers etc. I think many sports fans will realise this. It is after all just a pastime and an escape. Albeit a very interesting one that’s easy to talk about/be inspired by.

I believe many of us might realise we resort to this escape far too easily and that sport might just have a bit too much of our investment.

Don’t see the virus changing everything for football as some seem to. As soon as the virus is no longer a problem and football has resumed, everyone will fall back into the same old patterns. People will realise that they actually they don’t want to spend all their time with their other half and kids in the park, or at the cinema, or shopping, or round at the in laws, even if they think they do right now because they’re basically housebound. Most people imo will soon remember that these things are a relative pain in the balls compared to sitting at home or in the pub with a beer watching the football, and life will continue.

7 Likes

However, can you see people prioritising sky and bt subscriptions, ticket purchases, memberships, merchandise etc when money is going to be a lot tighter for people?

2 Likes

Yes it does. You choose to focus on football. But other entrepreneurs/sectors can also find themselves in this sentiment.

Or want government bailouts.

1 Like

I think the so called importance of football has surpassed people’s conscience now though.
I’ve been as guilty of the next person of choosing selective ignorance on this in the past.
We only have too look at Manchester city allegations and dodgy partnership with a human rights violations regime. Convenient to ignore that if the Aguero goal stops United winning a title though. Human right violations all through world cup construction in S. Africa, Brazil and Qatar. People forced out of township and homes. It’s well documented but doesn’t stop the tournament because we get to see 90 games of football in a summer.
This situation we find ourselves in and knew was coming still didn’t have football taking a backseat. It actively and ignorantly ignored what was happening and gave no heed of warning by promoting the Liverpool v Atletico game. Four thousand people allowed to mingle and infect a major city so a football game and television fixture could be fulfilled. Not to dramatic an accusation imo to say that decision has very likely led to someone’s death.
Nothing wrong with football being followed and supported in the future. It can be a great sport but it really does need to take a step back and realise it is not that important. This goes from the administration, television companies and us the fans. Took a long time and we’ve all argued against this and passionately, but it really is just a game.

1 Like

I don’t think it’d be prioritised, but I suspect that those things will become cheaper in order to keep people consuming the product.

There will be knock on effects from this virus, but some people seem to think that this it’ll be a proper moment of reckoning and that large numbers will fall out of love with the game, that people are suddenly going to realise that football is a pointless pursuit and that they should be spending their time on something more worthwhile and enriching. Whereas I think that people need and want a distraction from real life, and that that’s still going to be the case once this is done, and that football will continue to be one of the most globally popular ways that people do this.

Personally, I can’t wait until I can once again be preoccupied with thoughts of whether we’ll manage to get a decent result away against Brighton.

5 Likes

This is just completely sensationalist lol. Most people will go back to consuming football as they did in the same way most people will go back to doing the things they love once they’re able to.

Not much is going to change - let’s be honest. This isn’t going to be some grand reckoning in which everybody opens their eyes to some new world.

1 Like

Maybe not but not everybody will be in a position to just go back and follow the sport because of a financial hit and more importantly a lot of teams are going to be lucky to survive in a competitive state for very long after this.
It’s not just picking up were it left off like a lot of other things after this.