FIFA Proposes Allowing 5 Substitutions

This is an interesting proposal and could help alleviate fixture congestion and fatigue if leagues are cramming games in.

Thoughts ladies and gents?

Seems like a sound idea

I’m not sure Arsenal have 5 player worth bringing on

11 Likes

Makes sense for sure if fixtures are going to be crammed into a short period of time.

They should try and figure out a way of minimising the potential impact of time wasting though. Either strictly add on every second the player takes to go off, or be a lot more strict with yellow carding players who are slow to come off.

1 Like

True! Could put us in a sticky situation :grin:

It’s dumb that it took this long. Should be able to have 10/11 on the bench too.

1 Like

This takes us to the over a hundred minutes a match. Cba watching football for that long. Not for me thanks.

Article says it would still only be three stoppages allowed per team so no change there. Would just be a lot more double subs.

Or even the lesser spotted triple change!

Nice to see the PL is giving even more advantage to the rich clubs like Man City, who’s bench is almost as strong as their first team.
I was going to say Chelsea as well but they don’t have a sugar daddy anymore. :grinning:

This is just a common sense move given the asks put on modern footballers. In a season where there is a World Cup mid season it’s simply a necessity to bring in measures like this. Should never have been scrapped.

4 Likes

Surprised it took England so long to adopt having 11-12 subs on the bench but having 5 in game subs is essential.

It encourages managers to give minutes to more players in the squad too, especially younger talent who might otherwise not get chances.

The demands of the game with the current schedule is astronomical. Since covid these players have barely had any rest

1 Like

This example is always trotted out but what about a low block team that now has the ability to change half of its outfield players during a match? It’s just as much of an advantage for the retrograde coaches.

2 Likes

If Man City need goal and can bring on players like Foden, Mahrez, Bernado, Sterling, Gundagon, etc, surely that has to be more of advantage than a smaller club in the same position, who’s bench is mostly inexperienced or squad players.

We saw this 5 subs thing happen, and big clubs weren’t advantaged so I’m not sure why that’s still an argument.

Big brain Pep thinks he got his starting lineup right for a game. If he needs a goal he doesn’t yank off 5 of the players he thought would win him the game so he can just roll the dice with 5 other players.

This is for maintaining fitness and that affects all clubs these days.

4 Likes

Yeah Pep having a £500m bench is the issue here, not being able to use 5 instead of 3 of them.

Having Mahrez, Foden and Silva come on is going to fuck you up just as bad as Mahrez, Foden, Silva + two others lol

1 Like