FA Cup 2018/19

As long as we avoid Nottingham Forrest it’ll be fine

2 Likes

A wild Jay Spearing appears!

1 Like

Surely, Tottenham are gonna thrash Tranmere today, aren’t they? :henry2:

I can remember Tranmere beating us at home in the League cup in 1973. Fuck me ive seen us lose to some shit over the years. York, Wrexham,Swindon, Bradford.
Thats just the third and 4th level tier.
Why you usually see me always push for a strong line up in the cup. Scarred for life.

3 Likes

The first cup “scar” I have of Arsenal is losing an FA Cup replay v Bolton in the 3rd round in 1994. Adams scored a late equaliser at their place to make it 2-2. Came back to Highbury for the replay and lost 1-3 after extra time :(:disappointed:

Wenger had a pretty good record v lower league teams in both cup competitions to.be fair. We only lost to 4 lower league teams in his entire 22 years here. Correct me if I’m wrong, but Blackburn at home in the FA Cup (2013?), Bradford in the semi final of the League Cup (2011?), Burnley in the League Cup (2012?) and Forest last season in the FA Cup.

Actually, make it 5. We also lost to Sheffield Wednesday in the League Cup a couple of years ago

1 Like

Bradford was League Cup quarter final 2012-2013 season, but I think you have pretty much nailed it. Burnley one seems to be slipping my mind however.

Blackburn in the 5th round 2013 of the FA cup was infuriating, was watching at a pub in Amsterdam and it was just an extremely frustrating game.

Everyone knows about Sunderland beating Leeds in the famous 73 cup final defeat. Never gets a mention they beat us in the semi final though. Gut wrenching when your 9 and you have never been to Wembley.

1 Like

Not a problem for today’s 9 year olds whose team are in a semi final. Thanks the FA :xhaka:

3 Likes

Bloody hell, that would’ve made it a repeat of the final the year before!

From what I’ve been told, 1972/73 was the last hurrah of our title winning side. They really went for it, inspired by Alan Ball. Also got a comfortable 0-2 league win at Anfield that season

1 Like

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/7749865.stm

McDonald opened the scoring after just six minutes, tapping home from close range after keeper Lukasz Fabianski had spilled the ball into his path.

He made so many mistakes for us, ffs.

1 Like

I remember now, good old Randall getting a run out, thanks for refreshing my memory.

1 Like

Still remember him against Porto FFS! But he was great against Wigan in the F.A. Cup.

You’d think, but Poch has done his annual “We don’t care about the FA Cup” chat

The FA Cup is for paupers don’t you know! A big club like Spurs only have their eyes on Champions League glory!

1 Like

I get what he means, but it doesn’t stop it being bollocks.

I remember Mancini winning the cup with City and saying throughout it was an important step for them to progess, then they obviously progressed.

Teams doing well in the league normally do well in the cups too and consistent failure sounds like a cop out to me.

This is a fanbase that wanted to convince everyone their league cup win was the best thing ever, so this is surely a fanbase desperate to step up to a more prestigious trophy win.

At the end of the day though these are his words but Levy’s actions. If Levy is only giving him goals based on the league and CL with other cups as an afterthought, then no wonder he’ll treat them like that.

6 Likes

BT Sport have been showing re runs of old FA Cup final games today, and our 2015 victory was on. I couldn’t believe how much in 4 years our team has drastically changed.

Wojciech Szczęsny
Héctor Bellerín
Per Mertesacker ©
Laurent Koscielny
Nacho Monreal
Francis Coquelin
Santi Cazorla
Aaron Ramsey
Mesut Özil
Alexis Sánchez
Theo Walcott

Substitutes:
David Ospina
Kieran Gibbs
Gabriel Paulista
Jack Wilshere
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
Mathieu Flamini
Olivier Giroud

Of the 11 that started the final, 5 of them remain, though that will drop to 4 once Ramsey leaves. And of the 7 that were on the bench, none of them are at the club anymore. We had a really good team around then. Shows how much of a rebuild job we have on our hands right now :santi:

Yeah that team is better than our current team and that team wasn’t good enough lol

6 Likes

I really don’t think that’s a good team at all lol

2 Likes

Levy is definitely seeing the trophies with the most prize money as the priority.

1 Like

That team was pretty impressive. People liked to dunk on Coq but he certainly had a useful partnership with Cazorla.

The defense on that team actually looks better than our current defensive options!

2 Likes