Elon Musk (and Ex Twitter)

Why would you see thousands of these cases? Why would people bother to fight to stay at this shitty place when you could be paid off and just get another job, other than to make a point?

This is only a great place to work if you’re an anti woke Musk evangelist with no life outside of work which I imagine most of the existing staff weren’t.

Elon Musk is what perpetuates the “Musk is an egomaniac” narrative lol

2 Likes

I don’t know if he is necessarily excessively preoccupied with his own ego. I can understand it may seem so.

I personally think he is just socially awkward and he cares about succeeding and works incredibly hard. He is a giant nerd at heart and it comes out in his social interactions.

It will come to no surprise to you, I rather like his oddities and management style. He gets shit done to put it bluntly. Not that I would ever want to work for him, but I wouldn’t want to work for anyone that’s why I am self employed for 10 years now :slight_smile:

He is just an attention seeker.

1 Like

Oooh fun!!! Musk Fanboys vs Steve Jobs/Apple Fanboys!

2 Likes

Very disappointing use of NSFW there.

3 Likes

Cool if Elon’s ego can fix Apple’s app charges it would be great for everyone.

1 Like

Anyone who gets as powerful as him and still wants more, is definitely preoccupied with their own ego.

He has all the traits of a sociopath and his dictatorial style and craving for control over people, is similar to that of almost every mad world leader.

I disagree.

He got rich and powerful because he believes in what he does. I sincerely believe those things were not his objective but simply a consequence of pursuing the projects he passionately believes in.

If you’re mad for power and becoming the richest person. You don’t take over a flailing company like Tesla was and dabble into electric vehicles in 2003 when everyone and their mother drive gasoline or diesel cars and don’t ever see electric becoming viable. Same for Space X which almost bankrupted him.

I think he never wanted twitter, but his big mouth got him into the mess of being forced to buy it after all. Now he is going to make twitter better in the long run.

1 Like

I think it would be fair to say he got forced to buy twitter because of his preoccupation woth feeding his own ego. If he’d been more humble and less of a twat he wouldn’t have been forced into completing such a ludicrous and shitty business deal.

This sounds a lot like cope lol, though of course only time will tell.

P.S. I’m going to miss these exchanges :sob: :joy:

1 Like

Well yeah that’s fair enough. I still don’t think that he became rich and powerful because he is a egotistical mad dictator. Rather it being a consequence of pursuing doing what he loves.

Also dictators tend to cage their subordinates. He tells you straight to the face: work the way I demand of you, or you are free to leave with a nice severance package at that.

An unyielding “my way or the highway” is a fairly dictatorial style of management, imo. Not saying that this isn’t usual in the business world, but I wouldn’t cite it as evidence of the boss not being dictatorial, closer to the opposite.

Also, I read this part of your post as speaking to his character positively, but I’d have thought that any severance packages offered to staff he essentially dismisses are given as they’re a legal requirement, not something given out of the kindness of his heart. Likewise with the notion of “caging” his staff, he’s not letting them go cos he’s a good guy, he’s relatively powerless to prevent people quitting if they want to? “Caging” them isn’t an option available to him, is it?

1 Like

Power hungry mad dictators excel because they are extremely manipulative. They will manipulate their employees in all different ways. I don’t think he is any more manipulative than you and I can be on a basic level. I think telling your employees: this is the way I expect you to work or you can leave, is a non manipulative way of simply being clear on what the expectations are.

He is successful because he is a giant nerd doing things he believes in and the power and money are simply a consequence not the objective.

4 Likes

Yeah except employees are real people and not fungible parts.

2 Likes

Also why trade unions are supposed to be in place

1 Like

You hire someone based on the best match. Work ethic, expertise and so forth.

I don’t see what is wrong with this.

If I don’t get hired for a job because my aesthetic or the way I work doesn’t fit the client’s demands. Then so be it. I don’t take it personal.

Enough other clients out there. Same for work places.

Again. Elon Musk’s wealth and power is a consequence of Musk pursuing accomplishing the things he wants to accomplish. As I mentioned before one doesn’t nearly bankrupt oneself launching rockets into space or take over a flailing ev company in the early 2000s if one is hellbent on becoming rich and powerful.

I think I illustrated my position well enough by now why I don’t think Musk is a power mad dictator.

He simply isn’t if one cares to look closer to his history and why he does what he does.

He bought a flailing company because it’s a lot cheaper than buying an already successful business and Musk has also used a lot of tax payers money that he invested in his other ventures.

If he isn’t a power mad control freak then why did he buy Twitter?
There are plenty of other businesses to buy, but Twitter is about as high profile as you can get and is the biggest media platform from which he has ultimate control.

Everything he does is all about making himself look powerful, like sending rockets into space, and is always accompanied by a massive fanfare and media circus.

I already answered this a few times in this thread.

I really don’t think he actually wanted to buy it, but his big mouth tweeting, got him into the trouble of buying it. Now that he owns it he will make it better in some time. :slight_smile:

That is not why he does Space X. Sigh

Right right. He does it because he just loves the pursuit of knowledge. It has nothing to do with the fact the US government conveniently got out of the space business and needed to outsource things.

I get it, you like him. You’re what the kids call a “simp” for him. It’s cool. I think he’s a bit of a faker. Not as smart as his legend suggests, not as self made as his legend suggests and certainly not playing any sort of 5D chess with the way he acquired Twitter or is running the business. It’s a different kind of beast to his other endeavors. He can’t say “Oh fuck you guys I’ll disappear for four years and come back with a tangible product and that will shut up all my critics.” The product is people feeling good about being on Twitter and having a good time on Twitter. I just don’t know that he understands that.