e-Sports Thread

Is e-Sports a sport?
  • Yes, it is a sport
  • No, it is just entertainment
  • It is a seperate thing and should have it’s own category

0 voters

Just had a ferocious debate on my uni WhatsApp group about whether e-Sports is sports or just entertainment after BBC Sports included an e-sports segment.

So I thought to myself that what OA needs right now is another debate sure to polarise and divide our user base even more and sow more vitriol amongst our members.

Is e-sports a sport or is it just entertainment?

1 Like

Maybe add a poll too? @Cristo

There’s nothing about it that makes it a sport lol

8 Likes

Isn’t it being trialled in the Olympics this year?. It’s not a sport for me. Tbf that might be age related though on my part.

2 Likes

Its neither its just e-sport. It is its own category by itself.

1 Like

Wii Sports is more a sport than e-sports!

6 Likes

Poll added!

1 Like

In it’s own category IMO.

Any of you regularly watch eSports? And which games? Curious

e-sport for me

no less of a sport than darts, golf or snooker

1 Like

I’ve seen some bits here and there and it actually looked pretty exciting, but that’s probably because I used to game a lot.

I have no idea where to even start though so if anyone has any suggestions I’m all ears!

Just don’t associate the word ‘sports’ with it.

Call it e-game or some shit.

1 Like

That’s a good point.

Nah not having that. Golf is hard, man. You use plenty of muscles. It takes a lot of mental strength, not to mention physical extortion. They walk about 7 miles during each round as well.

And some of those dudes put a fuck load of effort into their workouts. Dustin Johnson and Justin Thomas are ridiculously fit.

2 Likes

I’m in terrible shape, and I can play golf :slight_smile:

If you’re in terrible shape you can still play football, box, cycle, run. How is that a criteria for it being a sport :joy:?

I couldn’t do any of those without requiring oxygen after 10 minutes :slight_smile:

Which is kind of my point. Physical exertion isn’t a requirement for something to be considered a sport. For example, I consider chess to be a sport.

But you can still do them ;).

Accoring to the definition of dictionary.com a sport is this:

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc

We have to hold on to something, otherwise it’s an endless debate.

Ruined by fishing :slight_smile:

Chess is recognised as a sport by the international Olympic committee.

1 Like

Let’s not rely on Olympics to decide what should be sports.
If it made them money, they would even call binge watching a sport.

I don’t consider Golf as a sport as well but you could make atleast some argument for it to be one as it does involve some level of fitness.

Chess, Esport, and likes are events which don’t rely on atletic abilities and should be considered a separate category

1 Like