Dune: Part Two

It really is going to be a big difference watching it on the big screen with full cinematic sound vs. not doing so. I was thinking about this earlier because of the simultaneous HBO Max release. In my view Villeneuve + Hans Zimmer have taken cinematic art to next level with this 175m production.

1 Like

Thanks to the OP for putting the ā€œspoilersā€ mesage in the title. Appreciate it. And as a result, havenā€™t read a single comment on this thread :grin:
Really looking forward to watching this one when I can. Wll read the entire thread after I watch it :grin:
Side note: Hans Zimmer dropped quite a few projects to work on this one. So Iā€™m guessing the music on this one is going to be quite good, if not anything else :grin:

3 Likes

Fucking pile of shit film

1/10

It is. Definitely a crucial part of the experience

2 Likes

Off to see this tonight with my two cinema buddies at 8:40pm in the IMAX.

Donā€™t think Iā€™ll be home until 1am but itā€™s going to be worth it lol

Dinner and drinks first at a Cuban place beforehand so might have a few mojitos first to make it even more interesting :joy:

2 Likes

Donā€™t watch it drunk!!

Will be a night to remember. Watching Dune for the first time :slight_smile: Enjoy!

1 Like

Last time I was this excited for a cinema experience was Bladerunner 2049 which currently sits at number 1 in my all time cinema experiences so Iā€™m expecting nothing less than something that equals it!

1 Like

Iā€™m happy this was given a sequel just need to wait sit through a torrent of shit films in the way

2 Likes

Yuck.

Youā€™re gonna love this shitty film, then

It always was going to have a sequel. Not sure why movie journalists were making such a big deal of it happening. You donā€™t throw 175m of spend on a film for the project to be terminated half way through the storyline.

2 Likes

You do if it bombs, Eternals cost circa 200mil and is probably not going to get a sequel if box office predictions are to be believed which will be a huge blow to Disney and Marvel.

Wasnā€™t such a given Dune was going to get a sequel tbh, however, Iā€™m glad it has been given one as its of the the best sci fi films in a long time.

2 Likes

So, how was the experience @Cristo ?

1 Like

Incredible, we had superb seats right in the middle as well.

As a book reader, thatā€™s as close to a perfect 10/10 film as youā€™ll get in my opinion. Itā€™s up there with LOTR for me.

I feel like it captured the essence of the book perfectly, and I was so happy to get to see Dune portrayed like that on the big screen. They really did the book justice which is a feat in itself. Iā€™m very impressed.

The world building was superb as well, and the film really sets up the second film to be explosive and action packed. There wonā€™t be a dull minute in the next one given when it leaves off lol

5 Likes

I saw this recently, and given the hype around it coupled with the fact Iā€™m a huge sci fi fan I have to say Iā€™m really surprised that I hated it. I found nothing compelling about it at all and I have no intention of watching any more of it when it comes out.

Iā€™ve seen other sci fi do all of this better cinematically, and I get the novel is the original of a lot of these sci fi tropes, but I feel as a story itā€™s been surpassed by its successors.

Much like the novel, it took too long to get going or get anywhere and by the time it did I didnā€™t care.

As I said, I really expected to enjoy it more but I wonā€™t be going further with this one.

2 Likes

Examples?

There are the obvious Star Wars and Star Trek parallels (albeit Trekā€™s comparable stories are tv based rather than cinematic for the most part).

It gives me some Blade Runner vibes too which is weird because itā€™s not really the same kind of story.

Arrival also came to mind with the sound and visual experience in places, as well as the slightly intentionally disjointed aspect of some of the storytelling.

But overall, I think as someone who watches a lot of sci fi, I saw the characters as sci fi stereotypes and I really struggled to connect with them being any more than that. Iā€™ve seen characters doing all these things in so many franchises, and I feel like Iā€™ve seen their stories be told in lots of different ways and I donā€™t really see what these characters are offering thatā€™s new. And I emphasise, I know Dune is in many ways the original of a lot of these tropes so that isnā€™t a fair criticism to a great extent but it still doesnā€™t change that this just wasnā€™t doing it for me.

1 Like

This film really isnā€™t made for the casual cinema-goer, or for a sci-fi fan in general. It begs the question, therefore, who is it appealing to? Dune fans? Whatā€™s the point of that? Itā€™s meant to have a wider net to catch more fish.

That bad guy was a shameless copy of Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now. I donā€™t know if the character was meant to be like that but thereā€™s an uncanny resemblance which makes this bad guy look like a spitting image caricature.

Villenevue has taken a story with about 20 mins of plot and turned it into a 2 and a half hour film. The fraud.

Trips to the cinema are meant to be either entertaining or educational. This was neither.

Avoid

Considering the reviews and ratings it seems to appeal to a lot of people.

I consider myself a casual film goer and also a fan of sci fi. To say it excludes those two groups is basically bullshit.

4 Likes

I can see why itā€™s been successful and why lots of people have enjoyed it. It just didnā€™t resonate with me, which is more to do with me as an individual viewer than a problem with the film.

No itā€™s not, itā€™s a bullshit excuse for a film, thatā€™s what it is.

Sci fi has been, generally, going the wrong way for a while now anyway. Mirage and Predestination bucked the trend a little for me, but the ā€œoriginalā€ ideas are lame ducks.