Dial Square FC - Light the touch Paper

@Stroller I think maybe we both know what football was and what it has become to understand why break away clubs like this deserve support. If I lived in England I would be following them

Yeah I have there app on my phone. It’s an interesting and heartfelt take.
I work with a lad who gave up his United season ticket and follows FC united.
I know another who supports Marine and these traditional non League sides don’t take too the AFC ones.
I think there’s an A FC Liverpool who share Marines ground and he feels those fans that switch don’t really get what non League football is about.
I never thought about that before but there is something in it.

1 Like

Im an Arsenal fan, obviously, staunch Arsenal fan. Loyal. Dedicated.

But Im also a football fan and do visit non league grounds to see non League football.

I think even though im incredible lucky to be supporting this great football club, im aware of what non league football is all about and would hope the majority of supporters who follow clubs in the top divisions would also get what its all about.

1 Like

Unfortunately with football being about money and teams wanting instant success I really do hope there are plenty of grass roots fans out there. I’ve seen plenty of changes over the years and I suppose it was inevitable that for the game to survive to a high standard that it had to turn into a business.
It’s just a shame that there is such a huge disparity between top and bottom. But I’m gonna be following Dial Square and Kerry FC from afar and hopefully when I visit those shores I’ll be catching a couple of games.

1 Like

The bond scheme back in the day was the start of some real anger at the time.
That’s pre PL era. I remember couple of friends of my dad who went for years walking away. It was the start of alienation on loyal fans.
People forget that Dein was hated for this at the time.
@shamrockgooner has posted that Dein acknowledged this in his book as badly handled. Truly though the Hillsborough disaster was the catalyst of needed change but got hijacked as an excuse for people to exploit and marginalised fans.
Season in season out people drift away because basically they get priced out.
There’s always someone waiting to take their place though.
The really saddest aspect at top clubs though is there a generation of kids who have had every replica top but never experienced a live match at The Emirates, Anfield, Old Trafford. It was just a given for our generation to go from an early age.
Sure facilities were crap but it didn’t matter. That sense of belonging and being part of something was so special.

4 Likes