David O’Leary

Rix and Sansom in 1982. Big Pat as well for Northern Ireland same tournament.

3 Likes

My memories of him are as of Leeds United manager when I started following the league haha.

4 Likes
2 Likes

It’s not letting me post so I’ve had to add this one here :rofl:

5 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

Pictured with his brother there. One of yours I think @shamrockgooner at some stage.

2 Likes

That’s right I remember reading in some programme about him.

1 Like

Think they played an international together once.

1 Like

@Mr_Nostalgia I saw this a d I thought of you :smiley:

3 Likes

Arseanal

1 Like

Arsenal’s greatest ever defenders never to be bettered.

1 Like

I just didn’t see enough of O’Leary. You literally never hear anyone complain about him though. Even the stories of Adams breaking through and he had his detractors but not heard the same about O’Leary. At the same time he isn’t talked about in the same sphere generally despite the appearance record. The dad is a spurs fan and even he says O’Leary was a class act though.

2 Likes

I remember him being such an elegant defender and I think playing for Arsenal as long as he did he deserves to be ranked amongst one of the best defender’s for the club.
Also I might be right in saying as I read it somewhere that his penalty in the 1990 world cup was voted the greatest moment in Irish football history.

More to the point though how did you become an Arsenal fan when your dad is spurs, was it done out of spite? Lol

1 Like

I’ve just always had way more sense than he has. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Although he wasn’t the fastest he was certainly one of the calmest and classiest defenders.
When we beat Liverpool to win the title, the defence in that game included Adams, Bould and O’Leary and it doesn’t get much better than that.

This season we haven’t conceded a goal from 188 corners, which is great, but that was considered normal for our defence back then. :grinning: