David Luiz (Signed and closed)

Just the fact we’re moving from Upamecano to David Luiz sucks a bit, haha.

But for short-term this would be a great signing. Get him for 1 year, then we have Sergeant Saliba to orchestrate our defence, with Upamecano next to him.

I hereby APPROVE this deal. :raul:

1 Like

Luiz can play in a three-man defence. In a two-man central defence? lol

Excellent passer though and I would 100% love to see him play for Arsenal, but then again I’m motivated by the entertainment factor.

1 Like

Because it’s a clear panic buy due to poor planning and in reaction to the club taking a massive L in the Koscielny situation

4 Likes

Everyone we buy is a panic buy.

1 Like

My favorite Luiz moment was crying when Germany rick rolled Brazil.

He’s a clown and doesn’t improve our defense. If he’s truly pushing for a move, let him stay at the Chavs and cause trouble in the locker room—that would help Arsenal on the table more than him being another Mustafi will clown hair.

Surely, if Arsenal are just after warm bodies at CB there are others available as a stop gap until next summer.

3 Likes

Imagine him and Guendouzi both rocking the Sideshow Bob look in the same side… Imagine the banter.

Imagine him and Mustafi both doing a Sideshow Mel, slapstick routine in the centre of our defence… Imagine the banter.

This has to happen :joy:

2 Likes

@Bl1nk make the unlisted thread and kill this one will you? Please.

1 Like
1 Like

Yeah wouldn’t say he is better than Kos defensively… at all.

As an all-round footballer, yeah maybe… his passing can be excellent, but we need brains back there… right now our average IQ is cratered by knuckleheads like Moose, Chambers, and Mavro (and I’d throw Xhaka in there too if I am honest). Luiz wouldn’t really address this issue for me.

He has lots of strengths but none of them are defending which is what we need from a central defender

4 Likes

The thing is Luiz is not potentially coming into a well oiled machine of a defence, he’d be coming into one with poor defensive and tactical nous that Emery quite frankly showed few signs of resolving.

We need someone to elevate the defensive ability of the back four which ironically Luiz despite being a CB isn’t known for.

2 Likes

Yep. And what irks me is that we’ll now bring in a filler as it’s so late in the window, that part of my expectation is well set. I just don’t understand the idea of replacing a walking calamity with a walking calamity.

Much rather a signing in the mould of someone that’s no nonsense and just known for being reliably orderly.

This sorta signing screams desperation in every meaning of the word.

1 Like

You would think Chelsea wouldn’t want to let him go.

But astounding that he wants to leave a CL club for an EL one, and is going on strike for it. We truly are a gargantuan institution.

When Raul knocks on that door, it seems to drive players crazy :henry2:

I am so pleasantly surprised at how great our pull still is. After guys rejecting Man United left right and centre, look how Zaha, Pepe and now Luiz wanna come here even after our site state.

And he I was lead to believe nobody would want to join now Father Arsene was gone. AKBs really did pull the wool over our eyes (even though he deffo is part of why we are so attractive, but my point still stands).

Him and Gazidis misused that pull so much.

2 Likes

I doubt this is our pull. He’s spent a fair chunk of his Chelsea career being superior to Arsenal.

More likely wants a pay day, game time or hates his manager.

1 Like

Leno
Luiz Sokratis Holding
Bellerin Torreira Ceballos Tierney
Pepe Lacazette Aubameyang

???

1 Like

No 3 at the back. Ever again.

1 Like

Agreed. I’d happily take a couple of years of Luiz. Great fit for Emery’s system and would allow Arsenal to go back in for Upamecano next summer – when he’ll be cheaper with just a year left on his contract – if they can’t get a deal over the line now. Not perfect or a long-term solution, but a big improvement over Mustafi.

3 Likes

If we’re playing Luiz I want him in a back 3 rather than 2…

I’m with this opinion.

@Craigie allow it ffs. Especially after Coutinho begging to join us but piped down after only Spurs answered

4 Likes