Danny Welbeck

I don’t see what he had. He was not a finisher or a dribbler or a passer or a creator or a header or a tackler or a pouncer.
He only had good work rate to show for.

3 Likes

I just realised Arsenal gave Welbeck a five deal on 100k a week back in 2014. He barely touched 5 league goals a season.

When I was watching some highlights of our games from the 2014/15 season, I took away two things. One was how ludicrously good Alexis Sanchez was for us. There were times he was putting it on a plate for certain players only for them to screw up, but because this was early Alexis, he’d clap the fuck out of them.

The other was how below average Welbeck was, which isn’t exactly news but I kinda forgot he legit couldn’t finish. He was Benteke bad.

In relation to 2014/15 season…I can’t believe we didn’t score from this situation.

7 Likes

he was not even a one trick pony

1 Like

Wilshere pissed me off that night. :joy:

1 Like

People knock Welbz way too much. SAF dropped Prime Rooney for Welbeck against Real Madrid in the knock outs. His pace, workrate, dribbling, defending from the front and link up play brought loads of value to both United and Arsenal.

And while not being the most clinical, he put United out of the FA Cup to help us win our first trophy in about a decade. He scored the injury time winner against Leicester, which could of led to a title if things had come off differently. Bunch of ingrates.

3 Likes

I loved Danny. Injuries ruined him sadly.

The winner at Old Trafford and the Leicester goal are in the top 10 of my favourite arsenal memories of the past 5 years.

Respect Danny Welbeck.

8 Likes

That was the year before. Welbeck was still at United when we won the FA Cup vs Hull.

Fair enough, still though, that was a great win at OT

Absolutely.

The guy put in a shift for us.

Sure, at the time it was frustrating watching him start games instead of more imaginative lineups but again that’s on the club/manager.

He’s the sort of guy that would have been the ultimate squad player if his body didn’t let him down. Yes he was frustrating at times, but had great versatility and could fill multiple roles. The problem is no point having a squad guy who’s never healthy.

2 Likes

This was boring like seven years ago when it was Man U fans banging on about that game to justify the existence of Danny Welbeck

3 Likes

Gervinho worked as hard as Welbeck… a lot of players worked as hard as Welbeck.
We all can name a lot of hard working players but still they are shit for us.

Ozil doesn’t have the work rate part.:thinking:

2 Likes

that’s why he is shit, right?

No he didn’t

3 Likes

He did

1 Like

No you’re chatting shit

I am serious
Everything Gervinho having the ball, he tried his very best to dribble past the defender, success or not.
His effort was there, and his effort was no less than Welbeck.

1 Like

Gervinho wasn’t as good defensively as Welbeck. Welbeck’s tracking back was second to none.

Gervinho was the only person in our team who could take someone on and beat them, shame he didn’t have a brain.

But yeah I distinctly remember Gervinho tracking back most games, because I think after him we had Podolski? Who was a lazy shit lol.

Did Welbeck ever play on the wing for us?

2 Likes