Danny Welbeck

That doesn’t apply to Welbeck if he’s on 80-100k a week. In terms of homegrown players that’s well below Sterling 300k, Chamberlain 140k, Milner 150k, Young 110k, Lingard 100k, Stones 100k, Kyle Walker 100k, Drinkwater 120k, Barkley 100k

Looking at that you’d expect Welbeck gets a wage increase if anything

Realistically we aren’t spending more on a winger

Of course we can. There’s so much value in the market, you just have to be smart.

I’ll be shocked if we retain Welbeck on anything other than a significantly reduced wage

1 Like

You don’t think we can find a young player with more value, starter potential possibly, in the summer for that sum?

Perhaps some are forgetting just how woeful and frustrating Welbeck can be, he’s mostly used because of his work rate and versatility, however, at this point in his career he is severely injury prone. He can’t be relied upon for a sustained campaign in which the team works harder than they have in more than a decade.

We should definitely be moving on at this point instead of persisting and I like the guy.

4 Likes

Take a ‘0’ off his salary weekly then I may be okay with it

He’s a terrible centre forward. No point retaining him on the basis that his Football Manager profile says he can play there. He’s like a 4/5th choice winger right now.

Keeping him as a squad player on lower wages is basically delusion at this point too. He’s good enough to play in the Premier League and he’s not going to take some slap in the face role to simply be at Arsenal (which isn’t exactly as prestigious a position as it once was).

Maybe some shit player who’s spent their career at the mid/bottom teams might take that to get a sniff of the big leagues, but this is a player who’s been a non-starter at big teams for years, so the idea of doing that for another 4 years I can’t imagine being that enticing if he’s getting legit offers.

He either gets more money (or if we’re very lucky the same) or he leaves. I hope he leaves and has a positive end to his career with a club who suits him.

3 Likes

Shit player. No new contract. End off.

1 Like

I agree pal, my stance on it remains with regards to it though

We’d be lucky. You really need to splash 60m to get Fekir, Malcolm or Pepe. 20m buys you Dennis Suarez who may come good or maybe another average player.

4th or 5th choice winger? Alongside Suarez he’s our only actual winger. You could argue Mkhitaryan and Ozil should start ahead of him in the wing position. I’m not sure who else, he’s better than Iwobi for my money. Welbeck is a better winger than Lacazette and Aubameyang.

I love Welbeck and think he was actually doing quite well under Emery, but I don’t see the point in the new contract, this is an opportunity to load another set of huge wages off the bill and trust in some new blood.

1 Like

If so I’d rather they take that risk than persisting with Welbeck.

Love him but feel it’s best for both parties involved to take a new path. Arsenal and Danny would both benefit from it.

A) Both of his knees are destroyed

B) Wages can be better used

C) He’s kinda shit

8 Likes

Yeah at this point I’d be much happier taking the money now and risking he turns into a really good, reliable Prem player than taking the risk that we pay him above market when we have to be smart with every penny and foregoing some fee (15-20)?

If we sell him, Chambers, El Neny, Moose, we can fund a top winger and still have money to bring in CB… get someone like Rabiot on free, and wait until winter or next summer to address LB. All doable, even under the most dire predictions of our transfer funds and wage structure.

Whatever use he had has gone on that injury. To safe and comfortable for him to rest on. Anything new in or promoted up is better.

He’ll just get injured again so there’s no point really.

3 Likes

This. If the back up is injured all the time what’s the point of having the back up in the first place?

3 Likes

I’ll be annoyed if we keep Danny, if we do the wages would want to be substantially less than what he’s currently on.