COVID-19: The contactless payment catalyst?

Anyway my point wasn’t just about me, contactless fraud is like 2 or 3% of overall card fraud and card fraud is something that reduces all the time as more people move to Google and apple pay etc. Something like this might increase that level of fraud for sure but it isn’t as big a deal as lots of newspaper reports have made out.

1 Like

Oh I know. I more meant as a one off, if someone gets their hands on your card in the UK they can now spend £100 in one transaction. It’s small amount of money in comparison to the big fraud picture. But it’s a big jump from the £30/£45 EU limit and is a lot of money for some people – even if they do eventually get it back. I know people it has happened to.

But like you said, I wasn’t being entirely serious. Just something to consider. I don’t actually go out anywhere at the moment to give anyone the chance to steal my card anyway :smile:

1 Like

The best way to beat the fraudsters :slight_smile:

In Holland one can set their own limit for contactless. You can also disable it if you’re uncomfortable with the possibility of your card being used by a thief.

Personally, my limit is 50 euros, after that the next payment requires the code to be entered. Once entered correctly, one can pay again contactless up until 50.

As for my card being stolen and misused. That’s the risk I am willing to take for the convenience of not carrying cash.

In either case, thieves can steal your Cash and buy themselves beers or my card and enjoy the few euros until the limit is reached.

In the long term a society without cash will actually complicate things for criminals, because it is much easier to track money flows digitally than in cash.

1 Like

Same here, I can set my per transaction limit and I keep it as low as 20pounds so in case it is misused I get to know and accordingly act on it.

1 Like
1 Like