Cedric Soares (17)

This guy still has 3 more years to run on his contract doesn’t he ? LOL

6 Likes

Fully focused on that easy life in London more like :joy:

3 Likes

I know a lot of supporters are worried that he might run his contract down and we’ll lose him to a top European club but it’s all ok because I’ve heard that he will be offered a new bumper contract to keep him here. :grinning:

2 Likes

To be fair with the way things are right now he could find himself suddenly being our starting right back at some point until he upsets the manager again.

2 Likes

Cedric in the boardroom when he was told about this

1 Like

Clear as day when we signed a player as average as him on decent wages that he’d stay for the duration of the contract, strange transfer strategy.

5 Likes

It was a money laundering operation. I think this, Mari and Pepe got Raul sacked.

3 Likes

I did some looking and according to this link (take it how you want it, it references The Athletic although there’s some speculation involved) the signings in question was actually Leno, Torreira and Pepe.

As per The Athletic, ‘Arsenal exceeded the asking price for Bernd Leno and paid €5million above the buyout clause for Lucas Torreira’.

There’s also been questions raised over the transfer of Nicolas Pepe and whether Arsenal got value for money. The Gunners paid a club-record £72m for the Ivorian last summer. However, he largely struggled to make an impact during his debut season.

The fee has been further highlighted by the fact Pepe was reportedly available for half the amount Arsenal paid 12 months earlier.

4 Likes

Revisionism?

I remember all those deals being praised at the time for not haggling about over tiny sums and dragging things out as we did under Wenger, particularly the Torreira and Pepe transfers.

1 Like

Don’t come after me, I did say take it how you want it :joy:

2 Likes

I remember people being a little shocked at the Pepe deal, both that Arsenal signed him and the price.

I was referencing the excerpt not you directly !

1 Like

To your credit, I do recall a ‘do what it takes’ mentality to secure Pepe at the time. We got desperate over the need for a winger. Blindsided tbh.

1 Like

Napoli’s bid for Pepe was the same amount as ours, so I’d say it looks like what we paid is probably what was the going rate for him that summer.

1 Like

Arseblog’s review of Cedric after today’s game

Ah well, we only have another 3 years of him

4 Likes

Rather have Lichtensteiner back :grin:

1 Like

Rather odd to pick on him today out of all people. Didn’t have a brilliant game but for a guy who barely plays he did well.

We are in a position where we have a Southampton castoff starting against Chelsea. That’s some solid squad planning right there :grin:

5 Likes

I’ll admit that most of what Chelsea did exploited our left hand side. But what exactly did Cedric do from a positive perspective ?