Bukayo Saka (7)

I don’t think there’ll be an atmosphere of recriminations aimed towards him, I think the overwhelming, vast majority will recognise he’s a young lad who had a decent showing at this tournament.

It’s not like he did a Beckham or Rooney and got himself sent off, he just missed a pen.

1 Like

As it should be but you can already see the narrative that the 3 players who missed were black. Many white English fans seems to be throwing that at their social media. It doesn’t matter that the only reason you got there was because of Sterling.

We’ve spent all year kneeling for BLM in empty stadiums but just look at what’s in store for Saka, Sancho and Rashford. Nonsense.

The media and especially the Daily Mail will put a nuanced spin on it as they always do but don’t think for one second the English media won’t wake up tomorrow with the intention of slinging mud.

2 Likes

I really hope you’re right. I worry the racist and vocal minority will be out in full force though.

I don’t think the shit tabloids that would normally do that (you know which ones) will go for it this time. Although there’s an idiot minority of “fans” that might want to slate Saka, Sancho and Rashford I don’t think there’s enough of them for it to be good copy. There’s more legs in showing pride in the team this morning from the looks of things.

I particularly don’t think there’s an appetite for making Marcus Rashford the villain of the piece after he’s spent a year getting food to poor kids, and you can’t really scapegoat any one of those lads without the other.

Arsenal need to look after Saka now. Weirdly, whatever you think of him as a coach, on a personal level there is clearly something about Arteta a lot of our younger players connect with and Im glad Saka has the support of a manager like that.

1 Like

I’m convinced people scrape the bottom of the barrel of social media on purpose just to popularise the impression of mainstream/widespread racial abuse on social media when it’s just sad trolls looking for attention. They collate mostly troll tweets and posts and give these clowns the attention they want

6 Likes

Sky Sports know

18 Likes

I get more nervous about a player taking a penalty whose first touch after coming on is a penalty, than I do about a CB taking one.

Neither Saka or Sancho should have been in the first 5, and Rashford should have been brought on earlier to at least have a few kicks before his penalty.

Sterling and Grealish should be feeling bad right now, both are experienced, good finishers and didn’t step up for the penalty. And in sterling’s case he had something to prove after a poor game

No blame on Saka, had the most pressure of all the penalties and he got it on target, 50/50 really

1 Like

Club statement

3 Likes

Tbh I think this is a huge excuse. A penalty is a penalty, you don’t need to be warmed up for it or even into the game.

Just stop thinking you’re pogba and running up like a twat in a Euro final. It was so obvious before Rashford took his (why are you standing straight on to the ball??) and Sancho didn’t look confident either.

1 Like

Arsenal fb admin has had an absolute mare with this caption though :joy:

2 Likes

Hope Saka is all right. That’s a lot for a 19 year to take in, poor guy.

2 Likes

Yeah it must saka for him right now

Too soon?

The Kid is made of the right stuff, I hope one day he wins major trophies at international and club level.
For now Arsenal need to focus on getting better, so this kid doesn’t push for a move to City, Liverpool, United or Chelsea in a couple of years.

1 Like

My son. Courage of a lion. Proud of you :lion::yellow_heart::heart:

3 Likes

It’s been heartwarming to see that he has received alot of sympathy and support from everywhere.

Being praised for his bravery and comforted in having that pressure.

Alot of Arsenal teammates have shown support and others in the media

18 Likes

Kids a fucking legend already in my eyes. He’ll bounce back and be stronger for it.

5 Likes

That’s amazing man, what an outpouring

3 Likes

Woke up today still angry and astonished that Southgate put him in that position.

1 Like

Tbf we don’t know what happened. If he asked who wanted to take one and only 5 hands go up including Saka, is it for the manager to overrule it? What does that do for Saka’s confidence if he then takes the 6th penalty?

I’m just blaming the other players not volunteering in that circumstance

If the player says he’s up for it you can’t say no I don’t fancy you lol. Shows elite mentality for some one so young and inexperienced to want to take a penalty which he has to score or his country loses its biggest game in 55 years.

Balls of fucking steel

1 Like