Bukayo Saka (7)

I dont want a debate with you, I’m on price work today and I wanna laugh and have short and snappy replies, I type so fast and dont check what I say afterwards or expand my points just assuming people would understand what I meant. You’re the type of person who picks up on every mistake thus I cba atm

Erm since hes a Arsenal player and our defence gets mocked all the time, albeit its tightened up since Arteta.

Actually we have so many players capable to play on the left flank, defensively and offensively.

Kolasinac, Tierney and Saka as LBs and Saka, Aubameyang and Martinelli as LWs [+ Nelson].

The best scenario is Kolasinac as LB, Saka as LW and Aubameyang switched upfront.

1 Like

Did you know Ashley Cole and Lauren were out of position wingers? As were Jordi Alba, Bellerin, Evra

Did those players show amazing ability and potential in not only the premier league but also the europa league as a winger first? Or were the wingers at youth level/shit clubs

Well at least we’re agreed that it was a mistake on your part to employ such poor logic in the course of your argument.

Its nicer when we agree rather than debate, so also happy to leave it at that.

1 Like

Oh how very sassy of you yet again Jakey, I’ve explained my logic albeit how flimsy it is it still stands.

Ultimately Saka is going to have to take minutes where ever he can get them, and I think his attitude has been spot on. We’ve seen AMN bitch and moan about having to play as fullback and he hasn’t half the offensive ability Saka has. Which is probably why we’ll see Saka feature next season and AMN will be cast into obscurity.

The kid just needs to keep on doing what he’s doing but I think it’s clear that after Martinelli he’s our most exciting youth product. Whether that’s as a winger or fullback, time will tell.

2 Likes

Playing a youngster out of position can also be a good way of developing other parts of their game. Look at Bale as a LB for much of his career before becoming an amazing winger.

Wenger used to do it all the time as well. Ramsey, Bendter and Nasri spent so much time on the wing and none were wingers.

I think spending a full season, or maybe more, as an LB will definitely make a him better, more conscientious LW.

I also think he has the footwork and vision to be a very good winger down the line.

Regardless, I’m just happy he’s getting minutes and actually doing something on the pitch with those minutes. At this point in our season he’s one of the first names on the team sheet lol

6 Likes

For those who watch Bayern how does he compare to Alphonso Davies?

Yup was just coming in to say this. Good point.

1 Like

Was Nasri played there as a developmental thing, or was it Wenger just playing an originally central player out wide as he did to varying degrees with Hleb, Rosicky, Arshavin and Ozil? Not overly sure how much Ramsey playing on the wing helped develop him given he’s an incompetent, if talented, central midfielder. Though maybe he’d be an even more dysfunctional central midfielder without the time spent on the wing, what do I know? (edit: that sounds sarcy as fuck reading it back, but I meant it genuinely, the fuck do I really know at the end of the day haha) Though I always suspected that Wenger put Ramsey in a nominally wide position for the benefit of the team overall, altough perhaps there was more than one reason. I don’t think I ever saw the benefit Bendtner got from it haha.

Personally not entirely convinced that playing at left back at a fairly shit Tottenham is what made Gareth Bale the player he became, I wonder if some of that time was actually wasted when he could have been played further up the pitch, utilising and more quickly honing the qualities that made him an amazing winger.

Anyway, I think Saka has been used at left back by Emery, Ljungberg and Arteta because of necessity. Admittedly I don’t pay much attention to any of the things any of our managers have said in the past few years, but I don’t think they’re all claiming that it is done to develop him as a winger rather than being because we have no fit left backs.

But at the end of the day, if he’s playing and playing well, I’m fairly happy. Not going to make a big deal out of this, but I do think I have a reference for playing him in his natural position if that’s where we see him playing in future. Not sure if Sane, Sterling, Gnabry, Mane, Salah et al became the wide players they are today by deputising for a season at full back.

1 Like

It’s definitely true that the playtime at left back has come because of necessity but it has turned out really well imo.

Starting as a winger for Arsenal in a phase where we are struggling to create would have been detrimental.
Playing as a left back with the tactic Arteta employs wherein he is pushed highup covered by Xhaka; has given Saka a more relaxed role and doesn’t take him too far from his natural position.

If we continue with that, we can give him more game time without the burden of produing numbers required of a winger.

Bullshit. You’re very conventienly been ignoring other arguments made. For one you haven’t replied to the fact that there is a path as a starter for Saka as left back whilst there maybe isn’t one for him as left winger because of Martinelli. For what he misses as defensive player right now he can still develop because he is so young. We have had Saka at that position for half a season now basically there is more to go on than just the game against Newcastle. Having proper attacking instincts is a major plus for a left back (the best on that position in the past 15 years were Marcelo and Dani Alves). There is enough speaking for continueing the development of Saka as left back… But like I said. You’ve been ignoring that.

Once again. I’m not claiming he’s better than Kolasinac. Out of what we’ve been seeing from him he can develop to a better player than Kolasinac.

600 minutes as a left back is not half the season. And being good as a left back in one game which was against an attacking condom of a team.

If you want your club to play a winger who is dangerous going forward to play as a left back but also want to be challenging for shit then go for that opinion…but I’m allowed to have fun with it.

2 Likes

How am I claiming he is better right now? Maybe my English lacks, but by using it ‘seems’ and ‘gives the impression’ I mean that there is most likely a better left back in Saka than in Kolasinac in the future. How about the presence of Martinelli? He has shown enough promise as left back even if it’s just 600 minutes to contnue his development there.

We’re not going to challenge for shit on the short term but are a team in the midst of a rebuilding process that is going to take another 2 or 3 seasons. Making Saka a left back can be part of that process.

Yeah in my opinion we have no time to rebuild we need to get back up there as soon as possible we dont have the financial might of Chelsea or Utd to buy our way back to the top 4, we need the income.

Look at our first 11 then look at the teams Chelsea and Utd or Leicester put out recently, we can damn well challenge for shit right now.

Much rather gave Saka or Martinelli left wing and Aubamayeng up front with Laca binned and Eddie told to prove himself be third choice or binned.

1 Like
4 Likes

That’s about right and should see him sign I’d imagine. If united still want him once he’s signed they can pay £184m.

7 Likes

Watch a video of Jadon Sancho (last night’s game against PSG was a good one). That will lower you valuation of Saka quite a bit.

1 Like

£180M then.

5 Likes