Brexit

5 Likes

This is probably just newspaper speculation, Iā€™m sure Brexit isnā€™t going to be used as an opportunity for The Tories to fuck the regular working person.

2 Likes
12 Likes

To fuck the regular working person is the basic Tory ideology - always has been.

4 Likes

Meanwhile in Ireland they looking to add legislation that promotes remote working.

Leo never misses a trick. Not convinced it will be backed up by particularly meaningful legislation.

May not be, a bit like the ā€˜flexible workingā€™ in the UK. But a lot of the bigger organisations are going WFH first. Hopefully smaller ones will follow.

1 Like

I think Iā€™d go insane if everywhere went to permanent home working lol. I canā€™t see it going back to what it is but I need a mixture at least lol

1 Like

Itā€™s not about going that way but have a WFH first policy.eaninf those who can and want to will be allowed it. With school drop off and collection, WFH helps, especially when youā€™re trying to squeeze workouts in too. Whilst I donā€™t miss the commute, I do miss the office and would like the option to go in when I want to with at least quarterly meetups. Itā€™s good to have a mix and there are still some jobs that require more office time.

My job is permanently remote now, save for one day a month in office when it is safe again. Its not the worst thing ever, but I certainly didnā€™t choose it, and I think its healthy for me to get out the house and for me and my other half to not be around each other 24/7, so Iā€™ll be looking for some shared working spaces nearby and using them a couple times a week (again, when safe).

If your job goes full WFH you should look into similar, I think itā€™s a good solution.

2 Likes

Nah itā€™s not going full WFH. Office is still going to be open. Scheduled for reopening in April :pray:

Iā€™ve been going in on Wednesdays since July to scan in the mail and that brakes up the week into two blocks which I like. Although since 2021 weā€™ve had to get permission slips to say we are allowed out since weā€™re in lockdown lol

I used to attend a WFH meetup once a month. I also like working at a cafe, so this is also an option. There are plenty of options out there to still get out of the house.

1 Like

I would happily take remote working permanently but thatā€™s largely because it gives me more flexibility and control over my day.

I can take a 2 hour lunch break now and go gym during the day and when I sign off at 5/6pm I know I donā€™t have to worry about the hour journey home and the feeling of complete exhaustion.

3 Likes

Must be significant savings on public transport for some and petrol for others and travel time in general?

4 Likes

Letā€™s be honest, those of us who can work from home are all just sleeping for an hour extra in the morning :grin:

5 Likes

All those Scottish Tory fishermenā€¦

We tried to warn you. Tell you that independence was crucial for your livelihood and as urgent as we made it out to be.

How do you feel now?

ā€œWorking from home was great and I was earning a fortune,ā€ said Ozil, just before he left Arsenal.

4 Likes

I always found it mad/sad the lengths people would go to to work in London. All those people with Ā£5k+ rail season tickets travelling for an hour and a half on crowded trains and tubes to get to the office when they probably live somewhere thatā€™s perfectly fine, or may even have to move somewhere closer at further expense.

Hopefully people going forward can have more options for stuff like this that means they donā€™t have to make all their life choices entirely around their career. I certainly prefer living in Bournemouth to when I used to live in London and the only reason Iā€™d even pondered going back was for career opportunities which now seem to be opening up more in some fields

2 Likes

So, uhā€¦ howā€™s the whole ā€œindependenceā€ thing going for you?

Fine so far. Vaccinating loads more people than they are in the EU because of it.

1 Like