Boxing

Canelo has done himself disservice by avoiding the third GGG fight. You can make a strong argument he’s 0-2 against GGG right now yet the records show he’s 1-1.

But I see Canelo - Kovalev next and then I guess Canelo fights GGG next year when he’s even older and slower. Just like how GBP waited for him to slow down before they let Canelo fight him in the first place.

Let’s not forget that it was criminal the first fight took so long to take place.

Canelo will always have a huge following due to his Mexican-American fanbase and his talent is undoubtable but he lost lost of respect from a lot of fans over the last couple years.

I’ve rewatched the first a few times and still just don’t see at all how he even got a share of that.

1 Like

Yep. They vacated the title and used the excuse that he isn’t ready to fight at MW despite him fighting JCC at near super middleweight.

The guy is a joke. A talent - but a joke.

1 Like
  1. Boxing is corrupt

2. On a round by round basis, in terms of accurate punching, Alvarez was more accurate in 6 rounds imo. GGG was throwing more but hitting allot of air and gloves, which judges aren’t meant to score/count and Alvarez’s work was clean connects, which scores better with judges.

So people who believe it is corrupt and a robbery, it isn’t necessarily so even if you think GGG got the better of it

1 Like

The first fight wasn’t really close. GGG won that clearly

1 Like

Nah, sorry I’m not having that.

Your first point being that boxing is corrupt and then your second one being that you reckon Canelo won (your opinion and fair enough) doesn’t marry well.

If that’s the case then point 1 should have no bearing.

Besides, the boxing is corrupt statement, while true is lazy reasoning to accept misjustice. I’ve paid hundreds of my own cash into watching the sport, only for it to be ruined because someone has had a wallop of cash shoved under the table in his/her direction. I find it hard to just accept as a way of being, and it irks me that no matter how much I hate it - I still invest in the sport (I guess that is what you are saying).

This isn’t the first time Canelo has obviously lost and we’ve seen eyebrow raising scorecards. Floyd beating Canelo via MD is somewhat a robbery too. That was a 101% boxing clinic that Canelo never got a single share of.

1 Like

I disagreed with you back then and still do but I tend to see fights differently to other people as I judge solely based on punching accuracy

1 Like

I do reckon a draw was fair enough. And I say that despite the fact GGG may have won his rounds bigger but Alvarez edged about 6 rounds with cleaner punching. GGG threw more in those rounds but it was getting through the guard and landing.

You can call it a misjustice but it serves all parties, except for the one getting shafted but even then he usually gets a career high payday. The sport is about image and undefeated records are valued way too highly to create an image of a superman type figure.

Yeah I hear you but Canelo wasn’t undefeated at the time. You go back in history and legacies have been tarnished at the expense of someone else’s. Pernell Whitaker v JCC screams this. I struggle with the idea that misjustice serves all parties.

Anyway I guess we have to agree to disagree haha.

P.s. JCC vs Meldrick Taylor is another example. What a laugh.

1 Like

Whitaker was undefeated until Trinidad beat him in my eyes. He beat Ramirez and JCC very very cleanly (to the point where neither fight was close). And I (and the majority of ringside observers) thought he beat De La Hoya too.

Pernell Whitaker was the second best fighter of the 90s after RJJ in my opinion.

1 Like

@CliftonGeraldi and not only are judges bought off, often opponents are too. I read an article written by one promoter who said he tried to fix every fight where possible because the boxing record of his fighter was worth so much. Usually they’ll just bring in an overmatched opponent but sometimes they actually get the opponent to agree to taking a dive/wearing the handcuffs. I don’t have recent examples of this, although I know it was documented in the 40s/50s/60s - if you look at Cocoa Kid’s boxrec his record is littered with losses but most of these were fights he agreed to lose. When Sugar Ray Robinson realised his opponent for a charity bout was a none bought off Cocoa Kid, he bailed on the event. Ray Robinson was also a mob fighter, but was allowed to win, in that he’d agree to take a fighter the distance and not knock them out to secure the better result. One he accidently KO’d an opponent he was meant to carry.

1 Like

With Taylor the ref kind of had to stop the fight when Taylor didn’t respond. It’s unfortunate for Meldrick but the ref gave him the chance to respond and he didn’t

Whitaker got shafted for sure.

I reckon rankings in boxing are a joke and don’t really mean something?

They mean nothing no matter where you look. The sanctioning bodies rankings are the worst.

2 Likes

Nepotism

Speaking of which, anyone watching tonight’s card? Had tickets offered to me to go but annoyingly I’m on call

Anyone seeing what’s currently happening with Charlie Edwards? Madness :joy:

Was a stupid thing to do. Especially since he was lighting up Edwards.

1 Like

The heavyweight saga continues fight fans this Saturday night. Will we get an upset or will the master Tyson Fury prevail once again. It’s that time at the weekend to buy that extra EXTRA food & drink. There’s nothing like a fight party. Joshua looking suspect on these streets - he finally got humbled by Ruiz Jr. You better set your alarm for maybe about 3:45am.

Saturday 14, September 2019

T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

Tyson Fury vs Otto Wallin (4:00am ring walk)

TV Sat - BT Sport Box Office HD PPV (UK)

More embarrassing opponent selection from Tyson Fury.

Not when you look at what is rumoured to be Usyk’s next fight…I know it will be his first fight at heavyweight but still.