Boxing

The only quibble Wilder can have is the slowness of the count when Fury went down the second time. The count got stuck on 6. That could be down to Wilder not being in his corner.

1 Like

David Haye on BT Sport: “It was down to heart, this fight came down to who wants it the most and that was Fury tonight.”

Nothing triggers me more than this comment. Whether its football. boxing or whatever why do ex professionals insist its always down to who wants it more and never someone just being fucking better.

6 Likes

Does Fury go down on purpose? :thinking:

It’s the kind of thing that counts against you if it goes to a decision, so I wouldn’t have thought so…

Yeah, he was caught. Didn’t look like it hurt him, just wobbled his legs a little.

Nah. The first shot hurt him a lot and he’s tried to stumble into a flinch and fallen over.

I also think he knew if Wilder caught him again it could have been dangerous.

I think Fury is correct though. You have to knock him out, or he’s going to get back up and continue beating on you.

Where does Wilder even go from here? Does he fight the loser of AJ/Usyk, and Fury fights the winner? Or are there other mandatory challengers?

Fury the greatest heavyweight of his generation

3 Likes

2 Likes

Dillian Whyte

Hard to argue against this.

So relaxed in his walk on. Unfazed in the ring. Almost makes you jealous to see someone who is unaffected by a fight lol

2 Likes

Would say he maybe is but it’s not a great era by any stretch.

2 Likes

BBC Sports Personality of the Year?

Emma Raducanu probs has that wrapped up to be honest considering the immediate reaction to her win

Even though it was an Olympic year I can’t really think of anyone else besides these two

2 Likes

Tyson Fury probably won’t get it anyway based on his outspoken views

3 Likes

Not to mention he beat an awful former heavyweight champion shoe he already proven to be better than. Pointless fight.

Great battle, incredible back and forth action but not a career enhancing fight largely redundant when all is said and done.

Let’s see if he wants to take a fight that fight that might actually challenge him now or if he’s dead set on wasting his career away fighting the likes of Wallin.

A lot depends on AJ now. Can he get revenge on Usyk, and set up the all British fight.

Because I don’t see Fury losing to Whyte or Usyk.

1 Like

It was an entertaining fight for sure but overall mostly a mildly dangerous matador job for Fury. Apart from moments where he switches off it was made fairly easy for him by Wilder’s failure to apply his training and tactics. Fury is very hittable and with a bit more patience and variation Wilder could have had a lot more success in the fight.

Wilder only showed anything different in the first round which is disappointing. Good body shots to start with, asserted himself with more calculated shots early on and it immediately looked a much harder fight for Fury. But Wilder reverted straight back to type after that. It’s been said many times but he could be so much more of a threat if he didn’t just rely on the same telegraphed right hand shots and cared a bit more about defence. He has great heart to keep on fighting through punishment though no doubt about that.

Malik Scott worked a lot on his overall boxing skill and there were many training videos released where Wilder looked much better in the last year or so. Really nice footwork and combinations in those clips. However he obviously didn’t plan on utilising any of it.

Also coming in heavy was a bad choice in the 2nd fight and again a bad choice in this fight. Even at 209 or whatever it was in the first fight Wilder had brutal power and athleticism but way more stamina to go deep into the fight.

Fury’s clearly the better fighter but he didn’t fight a great here he fought an incredibly dangerous puncher. Calling Wilder the second best heavyweight is a con job. But there’s never been a boring Wilder fight apart from maybe the first fight with Stiverne. We still need to see Fury fight Usyk/Joshua but that could drag out for a few years sadly.

2 Likes

Yeah Emma is a shoe-in now. Just looked at the odds and Tyson Fury is also still behind Tom Daley and Adam Peaty in the odds, and level with Lewis Hamilton.

1 Like
1 Like