Bloodred Cannon Shooters vs Baby Blue Sandsurfers: NEW BEGINNINGS

I agree. But the problem I have with this is that the reason we’re easing him in is because we don’t trust him yet. He has 300 senior appearances, he isn’t a kid!

If we had bought Alisson for example, there is absolutely no chance we would bench him. He’d be straight in there despite having made 200 less senior appearances than Leno. If you think you’ve upgraded you play them!

2 Likes

Well maybe the coaching staff feel Cech has at least one more year in him, which allowed them to get a cheaper goalkeeper with a high ceiling. Not quite ready but can learn a lot under an experienced keeper.

We probably bought him as Ospina was sick of being the backup and wanted to leave

Or maybe it’s a big game and we need as much familiarity between the back 5 as possible. Having Cech start will provide that

Not an issue of trust

2 Likes

Was Leno actually better than Cech last season?

I’ve only heard people say he’s shit.

So if we had bought in a better goalkeeper, De Gea, Alisson, Oblak quality, would you apply the same logic?

Unless Torreira is injured, we’re not going to play Elneny instead of him are we? No, because Torreira is a clear upgrade and (rightly) should be straight in that starting 11.

2 Likes

Ox aint a cm tho. Hes a RB/RWB just like Welbz.

To be fair, the decision on benching Leno, it must be quite a challenge going from being a talkshow host, to a goalkeeper :gunnersaurus:

1 Like

Not necessarily, I haven’t seen anybody claim Leno is on the level of those names (not including Alisson tbh) who can negate weaknesses in personnel and system through their individual talent but he’s better than Cech (I assume)

I said back 5 for a reason not midfield, we’re working under a new system that hasn’t taken shape yet with an out of position LB, new CB, Musafi’s chaos factor against a strong attacking City team I’m not sure why you would want to add a GK new to league into that mix. Sounds very susceptible to errors

Starting Cech initially is fine, Leno will take over sooner rather than later imo

1 Like

Yeah it feels a bit like “Czech might have one more great year but maybe not so let’s split the difference on someone who may or may not be better…”

Not crazy about how we have handled GK although some have moved for astronomic fees. Maybe they are going to let them fight it out but it is a strange way to handle the position.

We bought Leno on June 20. Our first preseason fixture was July 14. Our first competitive game is 12 August.

3 of our first choice back 4 were not at the world cup and have therefore had that whole preseason together, and one of the CBs is new, so I’m not sure he’s starting from zero with the other players while Cech knows everything.

How far through the season do we need to get before Leno is settled enough to be able to actually play for us?

2 Likes

Has it been announced Cech is definitely starting?

Klopp agrees with me tho.

Dont tell me you rate Klopps opinion higher than mine :xhaka:

5 Likes

Yeah i’m not disputing any of that. Clearly Leno is not on their level and that is my point – a better goalkeeper than Leno would be straight in there, regardless of the new system or lack of PL experience. Kepa signed on Thursday. He has zero PL experience. Straight in the starting line up.

Not that I want Leno to start – i’ve said all along that I think it’ll be Cech – but to me, it shows a lack of faith and trust in Leno’s ability (or lack thereof).

1 Like

Not a similar situation to us at all. Level of opposition is different, Familiarity between the back 4 is different. The level disparity between 1st and 2nd choice keeper is different too.

Look, I assumed Cech would start for the reason stated above post, personally i’d start Leno. People assume he should be up to speed but we don’t have the benefit of seeing him in training to assess that or if he’s ready to start on day one.

Point is if Cech starts it’s not necessarily a disaster, nor does it mean that there’s a lack of faith and trust in Leno’s ability which seems particularly unlikely considering the money we spent. There are many more plausible reasons as to why he wouldn’t start day one.

Maybe we’ll get an explanation in the pre or post match presser

3 Likes

I actually don’t, but there is one man who’s a football god that agrees with me on Ox being a CM, and that’s Wenger. So sorry he trumps everyone with hisn opinion :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah, didn’t you see my posts?

Follow me @jaITKeyboy

4 Likes

First choice for Leverkusen and he has already been called up for Germany. If not first choice, he should be close.

1 Like