Best sports film

Coach Carter and Moneyball are up there for me.

Feel like combat sports films don’t get as much of a mention here as they can be seen as more action and drama.

Creed, Southpaw, Warrior and The Fighter were all enjoyable.

Invincible
Hoosiers
A League of Their Own
The Karate Kid
Field of Dreams
Miracle
Rudy
The Sandlot

2 Likes

Bad news bears

1 Like

We mentioned Mike Bassett: England Manager yet?

2 Likes

This forum in the past couple of weeks has really highlighted what a film pleb I truly am. Genuinely seen about 7% of all films mentioned here/elsewhere despite being signed up to 3 separate streaming services.

8 Likes

Don’t worry, I’ve only seen the rubbish/cheesy ones, which is probably worse!

1 Like

Same here. But due to the fine folk here on OA and their recommendations, bring on a 6 month lockdown!

3 Likes

Some truly fine film mentions in here. Senna is a good film, my only real cripe with that film is how they portray Senna like he could do little wrong, and make Prost look like an asshole, which is not particularly fair, given Prost is one of the all time greats too. Still enjoyable though.

I watched the 89 film that Sky put on recently and I absolutely loved it! I was far too young to remember that infamous match, which funnily enough, the anniversary is tomorrow. But I loved the whole vibe of the film, all the 80s themes, the music and devices that came out around that time, really set you in the scene. After the film ends, just kinda reminds you, of what we used to have, and 30 years on, it’s a very different Arsenal.

I’ll add one suggestion that’s not been mentioned, and that’s Grand Prix. Made in 1966, the camera work and the cinematics.are absolutely glorious. The film holds up exceptionally well over 50 years later. Sure the actual plot in the film, is nothing particularly outstanding, but everything else is awesome. Not to mention the vast cameo of real life drivers that featured too. So I’d suggest watching that too, if you liked Senna/Rush.

1 Like

Is Graham Hill in that. Sort of remember that now.

1 Like

Remember the titans
Southpaw
Grid iron gang
Rush
The Wrestler

There is only one sports film and that is
Escape to Victory
Even in my 50’s Pele’s overhead kick gives me tears , fictional film but what a player

We could have that same commentator for the behind closed doors matches in the PL. Audio cues for fake fan cheering

2 Likes

You ain’t kidding.

That’s my favourite sports film.
In an interview, Newman said it was his favourite film to make.

I’d also go for Caddyshack, probably not technically a sports film but it does involve quite a lot of golf, although not professional. :grinning:

1 Like