Bernd Leno

Best keeper we’ve had since god knows when.

1 Like

I don’t think that was a big error on the first goal, if it was an error at all. Almost impossible to catch a ball like that when you look at the direction of the movement at the moment of the shot… It would take some incredible athleticism (and athleticism is one of his main strengths) to keep hold of that.

1 Like

I was more pissed about Pappanistatiloupoulous mistimed header, Luiz not falling back and then Papaniatatiuoloulous again not backtracking after his mistake.

3 Likes

Wasn’t much of an error for me and made up for it with that save from Son? A few minutes later

Regarding first goal: Not blaming Leno for shit when one defender tries to win an unreachable header in the opposing half, then the other donkey of a defender goes way too deep and gets turned on the half way line, making it impossible to defend that attack.

5 Likes

Can’t blame the guy too much. Must be a living nightmare being a keeper behind that defence.

1 Like

This guy should literally be allowed to toe punt our defenders in the nether region.

I’ve not been Leno’s biggest supporter in the past, but I do feel sorry for him at times. Having to play behind defenders with the common sense and concentration of toddlers must be pretty infuriating.

Having said that, I don’t think he exerts much authority. And the less said about the goal kicks, the better. Ideally i’d upgrade.

2 Likes

Really.

Leno and Auba are the only shining lights so far this season. (Would have included Guen as well if he didnt play so badly yesterday)

7 Likes

He’s obviously a great shot stopper and reaction save type keeper. But I still think he isn’t quite commanding enough in the air and we still have moments of shakiness when a relatively harmless ball is floated in.

That said, it seems like every keeper sucks at this in the modern game.

6 Likes

Since the Barca game I keep noticing AMN and Leno chatting or even arguing about the lack of communication during open play. This could very well be an issue.
Granted, I have never felt confident with our goalie since god knows when and that’s commendable for him.

Maybe he feels he has to play second fiddle to morons like Luiz and Sokratis due to their apparent ‘seniority’ in the team, and this is stopping him from acting more authoritatively

Seriously? We are looking for Leno for upgrade when we have those jokers in front of him in defense and midfield?

Leno has actually been better than advertised for me… yes, he probably could do more to command that box, but I think it is obvious our defenders have no f*ing clue how to help out our GK either. Plus, Leno has done a very nice job shotstopping, having to face huge buckets of shots.

I can scarcely think of a goal that was really down to him in the last 10 or so games…

1 Like

Yeah you will see flapping by even the best in the world… frankly I have seen worse hand in head moments from De Gea than I have from Leno in the last 12 months or so. Leno is a long way down our list of issues for me, starting with the manager.

2 Likes

Yes Leno is, and remains, one of the best 'keepers in the league.

Ain’t gonna fix something that ain’t broke

Fuck the manager just take a normal goalkick to halfway.

1 Like

Yeah, it wasn’t meant to put down Leno too much as I think he is just below the top tier keepers, but it really does feel like almost every keeper in the modern game flaps about with aerial balls in that zone just outside the goal and in and around the opposition attackers.

True. I can only really think of the Southampton defeat last aeason where he came off his line and was in no man’s land for the winning goal cross. However, Seaman did that all the time so Leno gets a pass from me

1 Like

Or just aim the goalkicks at Emery

So did Mad Jens and he was an Arsenal legend… also, I don’t think Leno’s GK are really the issue - its everything else about the strategy… our defenders on short balls suck and our strikers on long, high-balls lose every f*ing one.