Benjamin White (4)

Man was a monster, smeared a small tub of Vick’s vapour rub on his chest just incase that day would ever come.

The dedication, the foresight, that’s a true leader of men

4 Likes

Not that it’s relevant unless you have small kids but they make little patches pre smeared with Vick’s that you apply right to the skin. I was shocked when I found out.

I mean Vieira did make a fairly Xhaka-esq error that led to one of the greatest goal ever scored…

He also got sent himself off by taking the bait and kicking out at Van Nistelrooy. Could have cost us the game, but that’s all folklore now.

So yeah, some of the best captains lost their heads. Some lost it in big matches.

In fairness you’re completely correct but wouldn’t you equate those moments as negatives in the grand scheme of what makes a great leader on the pitch? They were just overshadowed by exemplary commitment in all other aspects.

With Xhaka you get those negatives in spades without any of the goodness that made the legends great.

I think we the fans see success and trophies and equate that with good leadership. That 2001-2004 was blessed with strong characters. Vieira wore the armband, but Sol could have got it. Jens, Gilberto, Bergkamp, Henry. It didn’t matter.

I think the players and managers would tell a different story, not that it would matter. Xhaka’s narrative is set in stone.

Things we see as negatives like him going in for tackle and getting booked, I think his teammates would see differently. They were saying on the Arsecast about how he takes it on himself to be our enforcer.

Someone puts in a tough challenge on Saka, or squares up to Ben White, Xhaka will be there to back the beef. He’ll get himself sent off again, but I don’t think it’s mindless.

Last post of 2021 for me :smiley: …Happy new year fella

2 Likes

While I’ve already acknowledged Xhaka may do the right things behind the scenes I just can’t but into your argument at all here man.

That day Pepe got sent off Xhaka was consoling the cunt who wound him up and cost us the points.

Vieira bullying Neville in the tunnels to fuck with Roy Keane just isn’t the same gravy to me, not even close.

Xhaka gets himself sent off because he’s either brainless or lacking mobility, he’s no shield, he’s a liability.

Anyway perhaps- hopefully - 2022 will be the year of the Xhaka for us and I’ll see your point of view

1 Like

By that I hope you mean we finally fuck him out of the club

1 Like

Makes you wonder what Spurs fans see. Can they see anything at all then? :arteta:

1 Like

Want to give Ben White some credit. Partey and Tomiyasu were our best players, but this guy wasn’t far behind. Had a pretty solid game… which is evident by the lack of activity in the thread :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

His passing is excellent.

2 Likes

Yeah and that will become more effective as the team evolves.
It’s quite sometime since we had this many all round players.

3 Likes

Agreed - actually, most of our players did pretty well today, aside from Gabriel’s losing his mind. White has quietly become a very, very good defender for us. The partnership with him and Gabriel is awesome too.

Apparently, Phil Thompson tried this once and he was hospitalised for a week.

I took some points off my rating of his performance with the crucial moment at the end in which he and Holding couldn’t close it out and at least make us walk away with something.

1 Like

Think that’s harsh on White, it was an awkward header from Holding from the KDB lob which landed right at Laporte’s feet. Was going to be scrappy from there on out.

1 Like

Think that’s a terrible position Holding gets himself on the cross.
He’s let the attacker get goal side. The luck favours him but it’s because of the positioning for me.

3 Likes

2:38

Yeah Holding proper fucked it.

1 Like

This is what I checked as well :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Probably harsh, just think top quality players generally find a way and quick to intervene and not concede in those situations.

1 Like
1 Like