Benjamin White (4)

Makes sense. Ben White mainly played on the right in a back three for Brighton last season, and even played DM on occasion. Think he only played in a back 4 a couple of times. Then again, he played pretty much the whole season for Leeds in a back four and was their player of the season, albeit in the Championship.

Yep this is concerning.

1 Like

Good versatility. Arteta will like that he can use him in different set ups

1 Like

Artetaā€™s dream is 433 bruh.

Aubameyang 
 Saka     Ƙdegaard   Pepe

Partey
 ???  Tierney  White Gabriel Chambers

Leno

Like that? Not sure I love it.

You spelt Bellerin wrong

Still hopes for Ƙde?

Pains me as much as you. Our sweet vegan prince does seem destined to leave soon.

1 Like

Iā€™m not not sure ESR is that player to sit in the hole like that. Maybe Iā€™m wrong but I donā€™t see ESR as a wingback system player.

We will continue to play 4-2-3-1 so the formation is wrongā€¦and you need to swap Gabriel around as the left-sided CB and White as the right-sided CB.

2 Likes

So you think

Leno
 Chambers White Gabriel Tierney
  Partey  Mystery Signing
   Saka  ESR   Pepe
          Aubameyang

Yepā€¦although personally I think Pepe will operate from the right wing and Saka from the left as per your first lineup. I also think that we will sign a new right-back to replace Bellerin.

4 Likes

No, I do too Iā€™m just an idiot and couldnā€™t remember I had flipped the formation and apparently canā€™t tell my left from right.

1 Like

Was listening to talksport this morning and was surprised to hear the largely positive reaction towards this signing.

Danny ā€œmore dour than the Scottish Grim Reaperā€ Murphy was praising White, and even that pretentious, conceitful cunt Simon Jordan was likening him to a young John Terry.

Didnā€™t expect that one bit, but I suppose when you spend large amounts on a young English player, the media reaction is never as critical / sensationalist.

2 Likes

Yeah on the 5 Live football daily podcast yesterday they were all pretty high on him. They said the price is probably steep, but in general they all said it was a positive signing and one that will improve us.

Some people like to cling on to the price tag, which I get, it is a lot of money. But itā€™s an investment. The John Terry comparison might be a stretch, but I definitely think heā€™s decent and at only 23, his ceiling is still high.

Danny Mills went as far as saying Ben White is better than Arsenal.

If anybody subscribes to the Arsenal Vision podcast, they had a really good show last Friday with David Hartrick, who is a Brighton supporter, a football journalist, and also a stats analyst for Opta. He did a very thorough and even-handed job talking about White from a scouting and also stats perspective.

In a nutshell, he loves Whiteā€™s skill set and ceiling, says he was incredibly impressive with Leeds, and then had a very good season with Brighton but is still young and will probably take a little time to adapt to his third new system in three years. Playing in a three with traditional defense-first defenders like Dunk and Webster gave him a bit more license to play risky balls and also to defend on the front foot so might be some adaptation required if he is tasked with a slightly different role and has different types of defensive partners around him.

Edit: This show might have been for Patreon subscribers only.

5 Likes

Yeah

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Ben White #10 :eyes:

Weā€™ll hopefully get rid of some dross soon, so he can have one of their numbers.

Though itā€™s not like numbers havenā€™t been taken away from loanees before, so he could get 4ā€¦

1 Like