Benjamin White (4)

I still don’t understand the time wasting thing. He was doing it more or less from the start of the match because they scored so early. Why doesn’t the ref book him until so late?

2 Likes

Ben White in front of him

1 Like

A booking makes no difference as the refs never follow up on it anyway. The goalkeepers just go back to taking as long as they want with no fear of a second yellow.

9 Likes

The ref pulled whoever the captain was again during the Everton game within the first 10 minutes and Pickford still carried on.

1 Like

Yes, from minute three has taking goal kicks like it was deep into stoppage time and they are nursing a lead.

This as well. Has a keeper ever received a second yellow for time wasting leading to an ejection?

The Bournemouth game plan was a good one–get an early goal put 10 behind the ball and they got another one (even more ridiculous from their first corner). If I was him, I would have done the same thing. Took the ref several times before he was booked.

Of course, his time wasting contributed to 6 minutes of stoppage and their player going down early in stoppage for no real reason added the time needed for Nelson’s stunner.

He even celebrated!

1 Like

His First goal.
For this game, we should give it a pass and never mention it again

2 Likes

For the Partey goal, Did Benjamin really think his penalty appeal would have been effective in VAR era, especially in an Arsenal shirt?

Sounds like one of those “Knowledge” questions The Guardian researchers would answer.

1 Like

Yep:

There was controversy on 4 January 1977 when the Uruguayan referee Héctor Rodriguez sent off Ecuador’s goalkeeper Carlos Delgado for time-wasting five minutes into the second half against …

4 Likes

Take the halo off mate, timewasting has been part and parcel of the global game for years.

2 Likes

Disgusting hope we never see it again

Absolutely loved this from Ben White today. Great to see him get his first goal for the club and the way in which we got the winner was just the perfect way to win against a team that defaulted to anti football tactics during large parts of the match. Reminds me a bit of Keown after the penalty miss by RVN.

2 Likes

Yeah, true. Thierry Henry did something similar to Kirkland after the game v Wigan and he did it to Ratboy Neville after the 2-1 home win v ManUre in 2007.

3 Likes

You know before this seasons over your going to have to come off that pedestal and embrace these tactics don’t you. :innocent:

I’m getting a step ladder mate! I’m not changing my view and will be happy to keep looking down at you :joy:

Bournemouth today had a go during periods of the game. The opening goal was well worked, bad defending on our part, but pre-planned and well executed. Same for the corner and again bad defending from us and allowed the player to get a free header. They didn’t need to resort to faking injury and taking the piss for every goal kick. Neto was worse than Pickford on Wednesday with goal kicks. As I said previously I have no issue with teams running the clock down, slowing down the game, keeping possession, but in my view this is cheating. Unfortunately, it is legitimised by the refs, who chose not to do anything about it, so we have to continue to do what we did today and on Wednesday and just keep playing our football and break the other team down.

Where do you stand on someone taking a card for his team?
Lee Dixon red card on Darren Anderton in 93 cup semi final comes to mind.
Standing ovation from Arsenal fans that day on that one.
Check it out if you have the time and let us know what you think.

I don’t agree. It was a shitty, harmless cross in the end that would’ve been intercepted easily if Gabriel didn’t had that awkward/poor intervention.

That’s a professional foul, that’s different. You take one for the team and you take the punishment. What I’m talking about is players faking injury to stop the game and time waste which is cheating IMO.

4 Likes

I agree…hence why I said “bad defending on our part”…

2 Likes