Arsène Wenger

The club are doubling down on backing Arteta because they don’t want to look inadequate in appointing two poor managers.

Arteta was an experiment worth taking (not in my eyes, but I can see the logic) but one that should have been binned.

No Arsenal manager should survive an 8th place finish and being binned in the EL in back to back seasons.

9 Likes

No Arsenal manager should be allowed to spend any time in the bottom half of the league either

The board have normalised this. We basically now are a bigger version of Crystal Palace

5 Likes

I’m not saying you’re wrong…but i just dont see how doubling down makes them appear less adequate or stupid when we are quite clearly failing where it matters.

1 Like

Yes things have got even worse since Wenger left no doubt.

But just incase anyone was unaware I wished for Klopp in 2014 and he seems to be doing ok at Liverpool.

3 Likes

You can count me in for not arguing about Wenger if we had brought in Klopp because I love both of them.

But we didn’t so you have to hear our cribbing.

That’s the deal, we don’t make the rules.

Wenger’s last season 2017/18 - 63 points
Arteta’s last season 2020/21 - 61 points

We were shit then and we’re still shit now.

6 Likes

I demand an OA meetup. The fights Will be epic. Cant wait to smack your sorry yankee ass.

1 Like

We’ll be lucky to get to 60 this season…

And yeah, 2 things can be true:

1. AW is a legendary manager (who i will always love) and the greatest AFC manager of all time, transforming the club and giving us some wonderful, wonderful football
  2. He faded at the end and lost his touch and his nerve - as hard as it is to admit, it was the right time to move on

Just b/c we made farcical appointments since he left doesn’t change the fact that it was past time for him to move on… had we hired Klopp or Tuchel or any of a number (I wanted Simeone fwiw) instead of the morons we got, especially Arteta, we’d be back in top 4 contention at least… right now we have a ridiculously ascendant Pool and 2 mega-rich Mancs and still a renewed spending Chelsea, plus the periodic interlopers. Even when we are doing well, it is no easy task today to ensure top 4 and certainly not to compete properly for title.

4 Likes

This is what I’ve been saying for a while.
The board have managed to drag the expectation level of the supporters down so far, that anything in the Europa League places would be considered a success.

So I congratulate Kroenke for achieving what he set out to do.

Wenger had to go but, as @Aussiegooner said, it should have been a few seasons before when we could have had a Klopp or a proper manager.

Getting rid of him wasn’t the problem but not adequately replacing him was.

3 Likes

How about context? League cup finalist. European semi finalist and would have knocked out a CL level atletico squad if Lacazette doesn’t miss a sitter. +25 goal difference. We were so much better back then (with a far inferior squad btw) it’s not even close :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Someone secure me a ticket to a match and I’ll be there bby :heart::heart:

1 Like

Wow nobody wants to take me to a game? Fuck all y’all then :fu::fu:

2 Likes

+23 goal difference actually ;).

2020/21…European semi-finalists and we lost to the eventual winners. +16 goal difference. Lost to Man City in the League Cup who were the eventual winners. Conceded 39 goals while Wenger’s team conceded 51 goals.

Arsenal in 17/18 would win only 4 games away from home. This is with Özil, Alexis (half the season), a peak Aubameyang (from late January)…3 players with world-class standings in the game. We have no world-class players now.

Lastly, the league was much worse back in 17/18. The 7th best side that year was Sean Dyche’s Burnley on 53 points. That would be good for 12th place last year.

We were shit then and we’re still shit now.

4 Likes

That’s a great season considering how bad our team was.

In all honesty the last 6 months of Wengers reign u have to throw out. It was extreme circumstances. Just the year before we missed out on top 4 by one point.

We were good at destroying shit at home in Wenger’s final season, much better than we are at doing it now.

But how many away losses in the league did we have in Wenger’s final season ? Must have been double figures.

4 Wins, 4 Draws. 11 Losses. Absolutely dire.

5 Likes

It wasn’t extreme circumstances it was Wenger losing the faith of the fans, the board and even the players. That’s not something you just ignore to excuse a poor final season.

The atmosphere inside the Emirates was toxic, the board begun to question him, the players looked like they were signed out.

You can’t just forget that.

And the lack of leadership from management/board level had nothing to do with it? All on Arsene huh? Can’t take you or these opinions on the matter all that serious when you ignore massive parts of the issue.

05/06 wasn’t much better away from home.

And yet we hold that cunt Fabregas on a pedestal here.

1 Like

Hold on, I just want to be clear about this before I comment any further… but are you a bit of a fan of Klopp and Liverpool?

You haven’t given me that vibe previously, but from your most recent post, I feel like you might be.

3 Likes