Arsène Wenger

One of my proud moments

1 Like

Would be unthinkable in this day and age that somebody who achieved with Monaco what he did would end up in Japan…

2 Likes

Jardim has a similar record to him at Monaco and the only job he’s had since they fired him was when they brought him back. Maybe he turned down a job in Japan :grin:

Before his career went downhill :disappointed_relieved:

13 Likes

Totally disagree with the idea to playing the WC / Euros every two years but I totally agree with scrapping the Nations League and all the random international breaks.

3 Likes

Having the WC every two years would devalue it a little bit, but I’d prefer it that way, a good player could peak after a world cup, be awesome for 3 years then get injured just before and basically miss his chance.

I’d like that proposal, summers with internationals are so much better.

2 Likes

Brilliant suggestions imo. Exactly what I had in mind about grouping those international breaks and havimh a dedicated month to get those qualifiers out of the way.

I can understand why he thinks WC and Euros should happen more often too. Having a competition every 4 years is pretty ruthless at times. So many great players find themselves missing out on such competitions because their form didn’t allign with the year of the competition.

1 Like

That would mean the top players would get almost no break at the end of any season.
I certainly agree with fewer meaningless friendlies and I think club football is way more exciting and a better quality.
I can remember really enjoying watching England matches when I was younger but it’s hard to get behind a team that has so many spurs, Man U and Chelsea players that I can’t stand.

1 Like

From what I understand Wenger implies that the qualifiers and competitions shorter and more compact, thus the players can ultimately rest more throughout the season and focus accordingly.

We’ve heard before that there are players that do not like internationak duties as it’s mentally and physically tiring.
Not sure if I linked here but I was listening to a football podcast a while ago, the guest was a former pro(can’t remember who it was), he elaborated a bit on it and kind of implied that some players were ducking callups by faking injuries.

1 Like

World cup every two years and England would still never host it cos they won’t play the bribe game.

Honestly having a summer tournament every year would be bollocks I reckon.

2 Likes

If there were fewer qualifying games it might work.
But players are paid massive wages by their clubs and it’s unfair to expect their best players to rest during a season because of a World Cup.

Like you say, there have been several top players that aren’t that interested in playing in international tournaments and, if the World Cup is played more frequently, there might be a few more.

1 Like

Nice short interview, talks about the impact of Covid, contracts and wages, footballing Calender etc… makes a good point about Barcelona and Real as well.

Worth the listen, personally love hearing this man talk. You can tell that he really really loves the sport.

4 Likes

Arsenal Manager 1996 - 2018 when the club were actually relevant.

3 Likes

ffs

2 Likes

Gave up when we got to the Arsenal stuff.

1 Like

I can’t hear anything because of those shoes.

A bold choice. Not necessarily the right one.

1 Like

The man just oozes class :grin:

1 Like

Richard Keys has got very round.

1 Like