Arsène Wenger

I didn’t get you. Do you mean to say as long as any part of the body is in line with the defender, it is onside?

^^^Is that onside for you?

That would lead to more line to check if any body part was in line with defender or not. The work is just reverse now.

And not save tons of poor decisions. There are almost zero incorrect offside calls(as per rules) in PL this season because of VAR.

1 Like

Yes. Uncomplicate the rule.

That pic is onside under your version, Wengers and mine.

VAR exists. There will be checks no matter what.

It would be very unfair on the defender because their body position to play offside will prevent them to defend properly.

I am against your proposition. Way too unfair on defenders.
In that pic, under my rule, the attacker is in an advantageous position and offside.

1 Like

I say fuck the defenders.

I don’t think FIFA/UEFA can make rules with that argument in their memo

If Wenger wants to put it in there who is going to stop him?

A perfect example of this would be Drogba’s controversial first goal against us in the 2007 League Cup final.

Senderos’ trailing leg deemed Drogshit onside. Game changed on that equaliser.

No I think what Sham is trying to say that Drogba could be completely ahead of Senderos but as long as even one part of Senderos’ body is in line with Drogba, that makes Drogba onside

Majority of the football world do without it and less frustration and controversy and disruption for the flow of the game.

1 Like

I think it was mate. Literally Senderos’ trailing foot kept Drogba’s foot in line (both of them facing different directions) whereas Drogba was halfway across the other end of the pitch and, for all the world, looked offside.

Under current VAR regulations, Drogba would have been 100% offside.

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMHrDX9HYBP/?igshid=1mjm0bzbx9qd7

Watching this (on this day in 2017). Jesus, how did Wenger last so long? The way we were setup was horrible. That was Sunday league defending for every single goal.

As bad as we’ve got it now, persisting with Wenger was also the wrong answer.

4 Likes

Yep it’s shocking how defeats like that one didn’t lead to stronger calls at the time for change, it probably didn’t even come as too much of a surprise to most fans.

It was a deifnitely a sign that things had changed permanently for the worse under Wenger. Before then we had suffered humiliating thrashing in the league but still managed to put up a smebaknce if a fight against the bigger teams in the CL, even in 2016 against Barça we actually put up a decent fight for the most part against a far better team.

Although nothing touches that Monaco home game, that was on another level.

2 Likes

And they were smart not to, its a far more nuanced conversation than just what was the result. We were never beating Bayern with the team we had. Really now that ur seeing Klopp fail hard because he didn’t get the investment we really should be putting more respect on Wengers name. Little to no investment for a good period of about 7 years and then a lot of upheaval and interference at the board level. The job Wenger did in those days with the tools he had was nothing short of miraculous :clap::clap::clap:

Also, again highlighted by how shit Klopp has become, you can see why maybe Wenger adopted a more possession based game. The 80m top class signings weren’t coming in and our team didn’t have a lot of class depth, so slow and easy control instead of this Klopp press style football which wears players down after a couple years or so. It got us where we needed to be, of course until the house of cards which is the Arsenal ownership imploded. Sighhhh Wenger was so far ahead of his time simpletons just don’t even get it :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Doesn’t excuse school boy defending as shown above.
We where never bad enough were we should concede ten goals in a tie.

1 Like

No it’s really not that big of a deal. If you attempt to play attacking football and u have a much shittier less talented squad this kinda shit is gonna happen. If you would have preferred Wenger to adopt some sort of anti football tactic and have 11 men sit behind the ball ala Mourinho, Wenger was never gonna do that and rightfully so.

Bottom line is you need to compete. That’s just horrendous shit level of defending which equates to shit football.

Yeah its like when we used to smash teams in the EL because we had a great manager and just that much better talent. Bayern had a manager at the top of his game and a top 2 or 3 squad talent wise in Europe, our squad was miles off.

Anyways we had lost 5 - 1 and then took the lead before a Kosh red card, we probably woulda won the 2nd leg, because even at a massive disadvantage Arsene was still the best manager in the world.

He really wasn’t in that conversation by then.

I agree we never had a team that could really compete for the CL post-2011, but it more the manner of defeats. I mean, the Bayern Munich home tie in question was just pathetic, everything from the set up to the attitude of the team was off from the start.

The defeats against teams where we should really have won, PSV, Liverpool, Monaco specifically, are those that really bother me though. I know to win the CL you need a bit of luck but our record in Europe was really quite pathetic.

3 Likes