Arsène Wenger

But what a way to see your first one mate, 1989 at Anfield :eyes:.

4 Likes

Fergie is a fucking fraud bought all his trophies :joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Yeah Giggs, Scholes, Beckham cost a fucking fortune.

1 Like

We nearly had Fergie as a manager…
what if …?

1 Like

Fergie woulda abandoned u like the bastard u are when shit hit the fan and we had no money when we moved to the Emirates :joy::joy:

I doubt Fergie would’ve put up with Bergkamp not being able to play European away games for a start… :grin:

1 Like

Imagine a Roman Abramovich style owner here. Wow, Wenger would’ve cleaned up. :grin:

1 Like

Fergie certainly was :wink: GG got left in the dust league wise once Fergie got going and never recovered. We coulda, shoulda been that United dominant team after two league titles in 3 years :weary:

1 Like

Still hard to say. Admittedly, Georgie had a very bad last season and the bungs were almost ideally timed for the board to say goodbye.

Could he have had a renaissance of sorts at Arsenal? I guess we’ll never know. He didn’t ever lose it as a manager. Steadying the ship at a Leeds side flirting with relegation and delivering Spurs’ penultimate trophy proves that.

1 Like

It’s frustrating isn’t, it? Wenger too with 3 titles in 7 seasons. Another 2 times in those 7 seasons extremely close. But as a club never made that final jump.

1 Like

It’s especially frustrating when it comes to the GG era as we really could’ve staked a claim for being the dominant force before United established themselves :worried: :grin:

1 Like

But that’s the thing, he hit the absolute jackpot with the class of 92

2 Likes

Don’t think we’ll ever see the like again

I’m not sure mate. Defensive solidarity aside I do think GGs side was punching above it’s weight when winning titles.

3 Likes

0[quote=“AM_Exile, post:18442, topic:125, full:true”]

Don’t think we’ll ever see the like again
[/quote]

No you won’t because clubs have more revenue and the choices of players all over the world.

2 Likes

Save it for the Geroge Graham love-in thread mate :slightly_smiling_face:

There wasn’t one when he posted it.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t you say that 1990/91 was a magnificent side, though? It proved that 1989 wasn’t just everything coming together for just one season, too

It’s that old adage about not being able to fluke a league title.

3 Likes

That’s a valid point lol

2 Likes

No it wasn’t a fluke, we were good and consistent and we even turned over Liverpool. But we didn’t play the type of attacking football the Liverpool, Marseille and Barcelona were playing in that era. I think Liverpool could of won another couple of European Cups from 86-91, but I don’t think we would have in all honestly. Although I think Barce and Marseille should of won more. Was pissed off when Red Star parked the bus and won on penalties.

From recollection Barce had a load of suspended players when they played United in the Cup Winners Final

1 Like