Arsène Wenger

That is exactly the point. Because of what he had done in his first 10 - 12 years he was untouchable and amassed an unhealthy amount of power for himself. In such a way that in stead of intervening earlier they let him fuck about for another 3/4 years too long.

2 Likes

Its not acceptable for someone to be untouchable. We didnt have a strong figure above Wenger to critique him in the areas he needed to improve, mainly in the transfer market. And that’s not Wenger’s fault, all of this was thrown on him because of incapable/incompetent executives. Wenger was set up for failure because he didn’t have the proper support where he needed it. Even then he over delivered with the odds completely stacked against him.

It’s clear now, as I had foreseen, that Wenger is clearly the best manager we’ve ever had, and he was getting far more out of these B level players on the pitch than any manager in the world could. We were lucky to have him because now we’ve found out that our club will never hire anyone as legendary as Arsene, unless they just get completely lucky.

Great post.

(But Graham was our greatest manager :blush::wink:)

How is this argument STILL a thing?

I might fulfill my years-held ambition to close the Arsene Wenger thread :grin:

2 Likes

We just set a 107 year old record of having the least wins for an Arsenal team this late into the season. So yeh as new information becomes available, it becomes clearer and clearer that Arsene was keeping us above water. Now that he’s gone not only do we still have to deal with an incompetent board and useless executives but now we’ve got nobody that can inspire results on the pitch, and will us to FA Cup victories and at least being somewhat competitive in the league.

1 Like

Wenger, for me, was like Superman holding the rail tracks together while the train went over him safely in the latter part of his tenure.

I really want to read his book, whenever he releases it. He’ll go apeshit on Gazidis

3 Likes

You mean blame.

I get that he was annoyingly stubborn. He left us with a bit of a bloodied nose in the end (typical of someone working their notice)

I’m genuinely surprised as to why no other team has taken him on as manager.

If Southgate screws up Euro 2020, could Wenger be a dark horse for the England job?

So what?

I love the guy but it doesn’t exactly matter now.

No Lampard will get that.

Why? I’ve said it before. People kind of look down on this club now / since the latter stages of his career. All the defeats suffered in the CL or against the big clubs in the Premier League, the fact that we’re a club which fights for Champions League places in stead of the title. Not surprised at all that he isn’t offered a job with a top club or country. I’m sure smaller clubs did approach him.

1 Like

Then people are stupid.

I’m going to be majorly biased towards Arsenal now but the likes of Wenger, Graham, o’Leary. All of these managers had more years of management in them. They all had teams punching above their weight.

Instead, teams persisted with Hughes, Allardyce, Pardew, Moyes on this awful managerial merry go round

1 Like

I don’t think Wenger accepts the Aston Villa job. Those other guys are pretty much done I think. I mean Pardew coaches in the Eredivisie…

You can’t really blame them? What have Arsenal really done of note in the past 10 years? Especially taking into account were they’re coming from.

1 Like

But Wengers remit was getting top 4 and only had 2 seasons out the top 4, the first only by 1 point. Which is what Emery/Arteta are striving towards right now. The reason Wenger didn’t have pressure is because he was getting what the board wanted.

1 Like

There is no doubt Wenger was one of the greatest ever managers in Europe but the reason we are mid table, and have got worse since he left, isn’t necessarily down to his genius it’s down to the fact we have employed mid table level managers.

Wenger should have gone when he did because it was clear he had taken us as far as he could but the reason we have dropped out of the top four and are now in mid table, isn’t down to him leaving, it’s more to do with us employing mid table level managers.

Emery is below the top tier of managers, which is where we finished in the PL and Arteta is a total novice and look where that has got us.

Wenger was great, when he first came here, then he started to become stubborn and that’s when we saw, not only did the big teams pull away from us, but smaller or similar size clubs like spurs, Leicester and Liverpool catch us up and over take us.

So when he was replaced, rather than going for the best possible manager, we went for the cheaper options and ended up with Emery and Arteta, two managers that no one else wanted and that’s the reason we have fallen even further down the table.

1 Like

Jury is out on Arteta. He’s taken over a mess and everyone admiring Liverpool and Klopp should remember Klopp didn’t improve results in the first season.

Nah not in the league, but he did make two cup finals, so let’s see what Arteta can do in the Europa League and FA cup.

2 Likes

Emery made a cup final

3 Likes

And we were embarrassed

1 Like

Yeah Galatasary had the same feel. Especially when you look at the line up.