Arsène Wenger

It’s not comparable as QPR where down to ten men and at 3 1 before the Aguero goal they’d been told they were safe and switched off or at least lost the need to defend desperately.
Sky garnished fabrication moment.

2 Likes

I told y’all you were sleeping on Arsene. Jury is still out on Arteta but 3 managers have had a bite at the apple now with more talented squads, and the days of this team dominating games especially against low level opposition seems like a hundred years ago. Wenger always had this side dominating possession, getting more shots, creating way more chances, and playing pretty sexy football overall despite having an inferior squad to the other top clubs. Say what you will about his recruitment but the man could manage the fuck out of a football club.

1 Like

Wenger should have made way for Pep or Klopp when we had the chance.

I get why he didn’t leave voluntarily, though- who does that? Let alone for a 8mil a year job

5 Likes

When you say Wenger had an inferior squad, do you mean a squad that he hand picked, bought and coached himself?

I’m no big fan of Emery or Arteta but they had to take over a team that was assembled by a manager who’s lack of urgency and pressure led to the complacency we see in every game.

2 Likes

Lol at including Freddie

4 Likes

This speaks to my point tho, the ppl above Wengers pay grade aren’t competent. Do you honestly believe that Arsenal management would have had the wherewithal to not only court either of those two managers, but then also come up with a payment package able to compete with the clubs they ended up signing with? Keep in mind the profile of manager we have ended up hiring with the last two opportunities we’ve had. If you honestly think that, ur living in a dream world my dood. That’s not even including the very real argument that our managers aren’t given the tools to succeed once they are in fact hired.

Wenger was making the calls on the players he could get for cheap and knew he could get production out of prior to Gazidis and his stat DNA interference. So yeh this squad and the 70m we wasted on our spine is really down to that clown. The truth is out there if you seek it. Arsene wanted KDB and DDV not Mustafi and Xhaka stat DNA and Gazidis gave us those two, but yeh blame Arsene I mean that’s how Gazidis set all this up so Arsene could be his bullet proof vest :+1::+1::joy::joy:

Wenger’s legacy this mate. Natural downward spiral picking up speed now is all.
The culture he engendered throughout the club when we moved to the Emirates remains.
Biggest ego the premiership ever had.

2 Likes

Don’t you love the sanctimonous fans who say ‘Wenger should of seen he wasn’t as good as Klopp and walked away’. Like if you were a Gooner managing your favourite club earning millions doing it that you’d tool it off for the supposed greater good.

BTW though Guardiola would never come to Arsenal with our transfer budget.

3 Likes

The culture of winning, playing beautiful football, and holding this shit show of a club together single-handedly. Wenger shouldn’t have had to do it all alone we needed strong executives that dont exist. Once he left look at the depths we’ve fallen to, breaking 100 year old records for being shit. Never woulda happened under Wenger, his worst season has been proven to basically be bad luck (even then we finished what 5th?).

What we need (and this isn’t the most appropriate thread for it) is for one player to take the bull by the horns. Ideally, this would be a midfielder. Someone who takes charge and clearly shows that he wants to win. We last had this with Jack Wilshere. The last defender we had this with was Gallas (for his first few games at least) and the last striker we had doing this was RvC.

It’s not necessarily about scoring goals. It’s about having the energy. I’d hope that would transmit onto the rest of the team. A bit like a ripened pear that makes the raw ones speed up their process, know what I mean?

At the minute, it’s all a bit stagnant. Arteta has clearly been brought in to steady the ship. He doesn’t have a “in 3 years time, we want to win the league” target from the board. He can chill, to some degree, as can the rest of the team.

We just need a spark

1 Like

Will always be remembered for me as a Highbury legend but he turned into a rancid, egotistical self serving minuscule who put self preservation above the club. Nothing unusual in great coaches losing there way. It happens, but to sell people out and stop progress and know your damaging your own legacy but not care because controls your drug. Horrible man.

1 Like

Its true, you did.

I didn’t care for it then and I don’t care for it now.

1 Like

No he means the fact Emery and Arteta had that squad plus 250m extra investment on Martinelli, Pepe, Guenduzi, Toriera, Luiz, Saka, Sokratis etc etc

1 Like

I’ve said similar to this for the last few seasons.
We lack anyone remotely worthy of wearing the captains armband.
There are no leaders in the team but plenty who will blame others rather than taking responsibility for this appalling mess.

You’re right, we do need a player who has these qualities but not just in midfield but in defence and attack.

This group of players are the most mentally weak I’ve seen at Arsenal and very few of them are fit to wear the shirt.

1 Like

Wenger had a £42m Ozil though. Emery had a ¥42m Ozil.

2 Likes

Wenger blasted the appointment of Mislintat as something that we really didn’t need. I don’t think he would agree with your assessment of this lelelelelel.

To be fair, although Emery and Arteta did have that investment, they only a few games to sort the team out.
Wenger had plenty of seasons of very little pressure to succeed.

1 Like

Never have I said that everything Wenger has said or done has been infallible. When we were at our absolute best it was Dein as that figurehead executive that had final say and Wenger managing the football. If you aren’t bumping heads with ppl you work with especially within a sports organization you are doing something wrong, just accepting the status quo is a recipe for disaster. That’s why you had a foil for Wenger in Dein and we were on the right path hiring Sven as a foil but we never followed through with the process, because by then the struggle of power at the top had taken priority instead of winning football matches. It wasnt about that anymore and it hasn’t been for a long while now unfortunately.

Which leads to the conclusion that Wenger didn’t want any help, lost it, and needed to be replaced because he thought of himself bigger and better than he actually was in that point in time. Thank you.

2 Likes

Lol the point went entirely over your head. Since when does an owner or executive team just say, okay do whatever you want, to a manager? That illustrates perfectly the incompetence running the club for the past 20 years. Even tho Arsene did an admirable job running the club in such an archaic fashion (which he was tasked to do because our board/ownership had no clue what needed to be done to bring this club into the 21st century) it’s not his responsibility to transform the club into a modern day operation, nor did he have the power to do so even if he had attempted it.