Arsène Wenger

You won’t cos like most normal people you don’t watch it. :cristo:

6 Likes

I’d definitely try and watch a few Lyon games if Wenger gets it haha

Like @Calum I would probably go out of my way to watch some of their games if he did go there out of interest.

Don’t know why but I’d like to see Wenger in Spain, Italy or back in England

1 Like

Most of the thankless fanatics took top 4 for granted under Wenger and wanted more, understandably he’d become his own worst enemy by being the best manager in our history, being invincible, doing doubles, and beating Barca with 10 men in the CL finals. Now the standard has been lowered, ppl would bite ur hand off if you offered them top 4 under Emery (even with a far better squad than Wenger had in the last 5 years or so of his reign). Why has the bar been lowered then in ur estimation?

The bar isn’t lowered. We all want to get back to the top. There is however a recognition of how far away we are right now. Up until Wengers final few seasons we were never this far away and if we’d just pushed an extra signing or two through who knows where we might have been.

Numerous people here have said top 4 or not Emery should be binned and I’d agree. I want us to be in the title race but I’m not delusional to think that’s going to happen this season or any season under Emery. And most seem to agree with that.

So ive honestly no idea what you’re talking about when you suggest the bar is lowered.

3 Likes

This definitely seems like a double standard tho. Just because Wenger outperformed what he should have based upon the squad we have isn’t a reason to harbor resentment towards him :joy::joy: The man had a squad filled with utter dross and squeezed tha absolutely limit out of the team. Now we have a manager who has a squad that’s been invested and we are far below the required standard. Wenger made us look far better than we actually were all those years, especially with the FA Cup wins.

He didn’t.

7 Likes

I don’t think this was ever genuinely the case. Unless ofcourse that signing was Messi.

I mean maybe if we had a world class striker in 13/14 or a world class midfielder and striker in 15/16 they could have dragged us to a title, just maybe. But I don’t think we’d necessarily been in a better position now.

Yea we can’t know for sure and I did say basically that.

I’m with you on this. I often hear fans (fans of other clubs, no less) say that had we signed Suarez, we’d have won the league that following season.

I think Wenger lost the title-winning “skill” by then, anyway. I can’t even recall the last time he won 5 games in a row.

1 Like

The last 5 games of the 16/17 campaign.

1 Like

Actually a player as big as Suarez could have done it. If you keep Santi as CAM and play Suarez in front of and any of Theo, Giroud, Chamberlain and Ramsey having his purple patch. We were only 7 points off the title that season

1 Like

So how does that explain spurs, Leicester, Liverpool and other clubs with a similar or smaller budget than ours catching us up or even overtaking us.

Wenger had the luxury of being under very little pressure and was the most experienced manager, by some distance, in the PL.

As for having a shoe string squad, who’s fault is that?
He spent plenty but all we got was dross and he persisted with the dross we already had to the point of madness.

He was a great manager but for far too many seasons he was allowed to drag us down.
He won’t get a job at another top club and be given the freedom and time he was with us and that’s why no one has come in for him.

I would be more than happy for him to go to Man U, because he is no threat to us and could possibly drag them down further.

3 Likes

The bar hasn’t been lowered. But reaching top four is viewed has essential/the second step in a upward trajectory to becoming contenders again. To his credit his squads has always been good enough to reach top four. This whole narrative about resources and stuff not being available for just top four is the biggest agenda ever. Maybe that was the case in order to compete with United/City/Chelsea at that time. But it most def doesn’t go for top four. Wenger basically became like Moyes at Everton, always negative and mentioning how poor he was etc. Whilst that wasn’t the case at all.

4 Likes

Wenger lowered our standards so much that people actually thought Unai Emery would be a good option as manager.

And then gaslights us. GTF. Wtf happened after 2006.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Can you post the English version please @Bl1nk?

6 Likes

Did the 8 2 get a mention.

1 Like

You’ve got some cheek.

At least we say the right vowel at the right time :bellerin:

We built a stadium and didn’t give him any money for almost a decade and then he had a squad on life support and a new generation of managers and a few more teams to compete against and eventually those factors made it too hard to stay in top 4.

The decay was ofc to a larger extent down to poor club management by the board for years than football training, match and man management but since the latter also had issues there’ll always be reason to blame a manager in a track suit for “ruining” a billion pound enterprise while simultaneously yelling that it is his fans who build him up to be something he is not :wenger:

Gimme that kevlar sofa now.

2 Likes