Arsène Wenger

By that logic, it is equally simple for other teams to win it.
Why didn’t they?

1 Like

I didn’t say it was easy, just that it is so much more of a crapshoot than a 38 game season and also plenty of top teams rotate heavily in FA Cup bc other competitions are more important. Wigan won it not so long ago.

But this discussion is not about which trophies are superior.

If using it as measuring stick of overall team or manager performance it is relevant to compare.

“Arsenal is the love of my life. I turned many, many, many clubs down to face the challenge when we built the stadium,” said Wenger, referring to the Emirates, ahead of the upcoming tie with United.

“I speak to everybody, yes I met [former United chairman] Martin Edwards, many people came to see me but I was always loyal to this club.”

Wenger met with Manchester United hierarchy when Sir Alex Ferguson considered retirement in 2002

“When I look back now I realise what a great team they had,” Wenger said of United.

"[Ryan] Giggs, [Paul] Scholes, as young players they had [Cristiano] Ronaldo and [Wayne] Rooney and you see what Ronaldo and Rooney went on to do in the rest of their careers.

“[Ruud] van Nistelrooy, all these players together - it was an unbelievable team and I think I realise more with a bit of distance what a challenge it was.”

Arsenal and Arsene was a family and he could of gone to Bayern, Real multiple times, Man United, Chelsea or managed England if he wanted to

It is though when you take competition & expenditure into picture.
With our transfer expenditure, we should have been 4th which we we’re most of the time and won sporadic trophies which we did.
So Wenger either did his job or punched above.
Far cry from the disaster everyone always portray him as

1 Like

That’s rather a romantic way of looking at it, but as it’s Valentines Day I suppose it’s quite appropriate :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Let me put it this way. It is perfectly plausible to win FA Cup while being relegated or winning prem while getting knocked out of FA Cup in early round. To me it is very clear which I would use to assess the team and manager and they don’t compare at all. Agree to disagree at this point.

Why even participate then?
Pochentino was right.

Wigan didn’t win it a record 7 times. Neither did Fergie for that matter, only 5 times

There’s something to be said for pulling it out the bag under pressure in the cup

Why do you think I am defending his honor?

Happy Valentine’s day Arsene :kissing_heart:

1 Like

That is a different argument. I have said what AW did brilliantly was keep us from falling below our expected level on comparative total wages… what he never really did in that last 7-8 years was punch above his weight. Not once.

And he wasn’t as ruthless or opportunistic as he should be in pouncing on opportunity like the year LC won it.

1 Like

@InvincibleDB10

“I feel if you ask any manager in the world, would you be interested in coaching Real Madrid? Everybody would say yes - it’s the biggest club in the world.”

When asked if loyalty to Arsenal stopped him from leaving for Madrid, Wenger added: "Yes, we live always to our values.

“It was in the middle of a process where we built the stadium, we had to pay it back, I guaranteed I would stay and I am quite happy with my decision.”

Yeah but nothing compared to winning the league over 38 games. I think you are missing my point and interpreting it as me saying FA Cup doesn’t matter at all. It’s a nice honor, but as true measuring stick of a team or manager over a season, it isn’t a good one imho.

Yeah it does say it all. Just how clueless most ppl are. Now we can’t beat top 4, get shellacked by top 4 teams regardless, shittier defense, and no trophies :joy::joy:🖒🖒

This thread has erupted lol!

Yet sadly there’s been almost nothing worth reading lol

4 Likes

One long tl;dr just scrolled the fuck down to get it read haha

1 Like

Yeh Luca it’s just a bunch of ppl still clinging onto the last shreds of their dignity after they’ve all been proven wrong over Arsene.

Here’s a Valentine Day message from Wenger to Trion.

Dear Trion

Arsenal are red
And I’m feeling blue
Cos I know you still miss me
And I miss you too

Love from Arsene :kissing_closed_eyes:

1 Like