Arsène Wenger

Kompany joined City before they were rich. I’m pretty sure he would’ve chosen Arsenal given the chance.

He joined the same summer when Robinho signed

Are you trolling them? :henry2:

Before they were oil rich though. They were still signing poxy players like Jo, not Agueros. I don’t doubt for a second Kompany would have chosen us over them

2008 Wenger still had it aswell.

1 Like

Gallas was a bit of a prick but was our best defender. Imagine him and Kompany behind Almunia :grimacing: haha would have been some defence pairing that

Anyone would think Wenger’s returned to become our manager today after the huge influx of posts in the last 24 hours :wenger:

1 Like

We were CL finalists two seasons prior and despite us falling apart, if you looked at 07/08 Wenger still looked like a guy who could put an exciting team together thst could challenge for the league.

After United and Chelsea maybe (maybe as Ramsey chose us over Utd) we’d have been next in line for any player like Kompany.

1 Like

I still believe we would have won it if Eduardo never got that horrible injury. Don’t think our young team where the same mentally after that

2 Likes

Even If I take that & admit Wenger missed out on a bargain, So what?
Will that stop other teams from purchasing some other quality defender.

It’s as if Wenger didn’t make quality bargain signings in Koscielny, Santi etc to balance the act.
For every Suarez & Coutinho, Liverpool signed their own massive pile of shit players in between.
And For every Suazrez & Coutinho, we signed Sanchez, Monreal etc.

It’s impossible to have 100% success in transfer market.

We haven’t punched above our weight in the league for over a decade, until Wenger’s last couple of seasons we pretty much just achieved par for the course in that timeframe.

2 Likes

No thats fine, I dont need any admission from you. I really don’t care abiut the wider debate.

I was just talking about that specific example because that specific example mildly interested me and I had an opinion.

1 Like

Happy Valentine’s Day Jakey :****

1 Like

One for the Wenger lads, at this stage of the game in Bate last season Wenger’s side had a 3 goal lead.

@Maverick79

@Trion with his flamethrower going wild in this thread.

1 Like

5 Likes

For the league you need the squad though, you can’t do it without it. We actually did 89 points in 2013 but either end of those 2 seasons our squad fell apart.

People are actually complaining we didn’t win the league when we had an ancient Flamteta as our midfield base. What do they expect?

We constantly sold our best player and didn’t spend the money for years. Vieira, Henry, Adebeyor, Fabregas, Nasri, RVP in not many seasons. And after Cesc/RVP left it was clear we dropped down a level.

We weren’t replacing with similar quality because of financial restrictions. So why is anyone surprised our quality level dropped and continued to drop off? The real disaster was the Mustafi and Xhaka window but the fact we’re affected so much by 2 signings shows the effect of more than a decade of underinvestment.

1 Like

You want to see us punch above our weight more than zero times out of 7 or 8 though… I have no issue with largely residing in our natural wages table position, especially during transfer austerity, but F*ck me, it felt like Groundhog Day with Arsene after a while.

The truth is out boys, the reason Arsene hasn’t landed a managerial moment was for this exact moment. The King returns to his home! WOB on suicide watch! :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like