Arsène Wenger

Well I mean Newcastle were actually the biggest spending team in England in the 90s and Chelsea the biggest in the 00s. And United under invested heavily under the Glazers for much of the latter part of the 00s so I think sometimes SAF doesn’t get enough credit for what he did. He managed to fight off big spending Blackburn, Newcastle, Chelsea and then eventually wrestled the title back from City too.

Not doubting that United spent big sums too but I think sometimes SAF doesn’t get enough credit.

4 Likes

He simply doesnt because he is defo the best man manager of all time. He was in charge when managers had control and in the era of agent/player control.
Successful at both levels. Took united above Liverpools huge title lead and then beat all the new challengers along the way.
Should of probably have won at least one more CL. Still if thats the measurement of failure its not bad.

Mbappe would still have been worth it if we could have afforded the transfer fee. You’d get years of service and he’ll likely be worth 300 million quid in 2-3 years.

I tend to agree with that but there’s no way we could afford it; I can’t believe people thought we were considering paying 130m for him.

2 Likes

Yeah if we couldn’t that’s another situation entirely, I was just pointing out if we could I think it would have been a great investment.

United were the most consistent spenders though and broke the British transfer record most regularly. They also managed to spend 30m net 2 seasons in succession 11 years before we could. And were buying a slew of 30m signings meaning they had a core of CR7, Rooney and Rio and they can discard a near world record signing of Veron when it didn’t quite work out. Wenger spotted CR7 first but United outbid us and paid the extorionate agent fees we didn’t want to pay after they saw CR7 when playing against him pre-season.

Don’t forget Fergie had 5-6 seasons of big spending before he won the title. He also had the best youth setup in the country that at the time hovered up all the best talent in the country, so Beckham from London, Giggs from Wales. The class of '92 is legendary but before them you had the likes of Lee Sharpe and Gillespie were both dubbed the new George Best and Mark Robbins was the striker who’s FA Cup game winner is rumoured to have saved SAFs job.

Cantona falling out with Howard Wilkinson and becoming available was the catalyst that transformed United. He transformed their season when he moved mid season to win them their first league title in the days before transfer windows. Before they signed him they were lagging behind Blackburn and Norwich and they won the league by 10 points. They then won 4 out of 5 of the next titles with the only season they didn’t win the one where he was banned from kung foo kicking that Palace fan who was taunting him. In that time he managed 70 goals and 56 assists in 156 PL games. In contrast Bergkamp had 87 goals and 94 assists in 315 PL games. And Ozil has 30 goals and 51 assists in 155 PL games currently.

Fergie was shrewd and a great manager but he certainly did have some good fortune and wealth no one else matched and United fans didn’t always rate him

1 Like

Maybe we bring back Wenger, at least he usually made a domestic cup final to give us some sort of something to cling on to :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Unai’s forte is European finals :wink:

its because of him we are in this fucking shitting mess

1 Like

#WengerIn

Was thinking about bumping this but figured nah, think it goes without saying at this point. Be careful what u wish for has come home to roost.

The saving grace of the club is that we dumped this prick. Five years earlier would have been better, but hey small mercies.

Wenger actually won us stuff with the trash this club can attract, but let’s take that out of the equation. Let’s just talk about losing. Losing with Wenger was satisfying to a certain extent because we stood for something as a club, we were still Arsenal. Now that we’ve sold our soul and become just like all the other shitty meaningless redundant clubs trying to buy glory, but STILL GETTING OUR SHIT PUSHED IN, in the process… is a fucking joke.

Feel like pure shit just want Arsene back.

1 Like

You speak absolute nonsense, fuck me. We’re trying to buy glory when we can only do loan moves this window and will spend about 50m total this coming summer?

1 Like

Yeah what we stood for was being the laughing stock of europe. Concedeing ten fucking goals like a team from fucking Malta.

1 Like

Like I said we still had our pride/identity. Now we are just a wanna be lolpool or tottenham but a shittier version.

do you honestly believe what you say…it just boggles my mind

1 Like

You quoting pride and identity being humiliated like that. Man your stuck in a time warp. Invincibles is 15 years old now. Theirs kids only know Wenger as a loser now.

Nah we’re progressing. Got exactly what I wanted.

2 Likes

Buddy do you ever think that it’s too easy?

Like you have half these guys on strings, and it takes fuck all effort lol :arteta:

Does it not get boring after a while?

1 Like