Arsène Wenger

Is there a similar situation in football where a coach has done so much for a club on and off the pitch over a long period of time but was treated like a regular dude and sacked when he didn’t perform to standards?

Eddie Howe with Bournemouth is the only one I can think of

It does sound weird, until you remember…

1 Like

Can think of others where this sentiment has cost clubs.
Brian Clough with Forest would come under this category and the fall culminating in relegation which really finished them as a big club.
Obviously his drinking contributed but again it should of been addressed with a sacking for the good of the club.

4 Likes

Wasn’t Cruyff sacked from Barcelona in the end? Two trophyless seasons. (Although I think that was a disagreement with the President at the time, but same sentiments)

2 Likes

Yeah. Johan never stopped pushing though whoever he played or served.

2 Likes

In fairness to @BigWeng_4LYFE he did always so one of the main reasons he never wanted Wenger binned is because he thought the club had no idea and would appoint flop after flop after, so far the club isn’t really doing much to prove those concerns wrong sadly.

2 Likes

Finally got round to watching the film.

Its brilliant. So much better than the book

1 Like

I don’t get why professionals can’t maintain some respect for each other while discussing something.

The “come on” immediately after Keown started speaking was so unnecessary. Just hear him out.

As of the discussion, I agree that there is no point bring in Wenger if it is not for a significant influencing position.
At the same time, the club has to mend the bridge with Wenger so that he feels great returning to the club to attend few matches whenever he feels like it.

It is ridiculous that Wenger never stepped in the premise since hiss departure.

I’d take him over Wilshere in the midfield

Id have Wenger and Dein back in some capacity - bring back some class to the club !!

Also need to change some of the stadium’s atmosphere - somehow make it a fortress !! Miss Highbury so much, when you went there the atmosphere was amazing :star_struck:

3 Likes

Parachute the big man back into until end of season as interim

1 Like

Come home Monsieur

1 Like

Let him enjoy his retirement

The last time Wenger had a youth project we did faff all.

Stay in your cozy job.

2 Likes

YES

You know it. I want to be entertained watching us play. Not watching paint dry.

1 Like

Are y’all really gonna tell me that Wenger ball was shit football? After watching the shit that Arteta is serving up?

Dunno what Wenger would accomplish ultimately with this team but I can guarantee you we’d be playing some beautiful stuff.

5 Likes

Literally no one is saying this.