Arsenal transfers 24/25

In terms of Partey…because he has been injured. I don’t accept what you say and don’t think you can blame the manager for him missing so many games.

All the reports about Guendouzi said that Arteta and the club gave him every chance behind the scenes. There were reports last winter about his atitude and he didn’t learn. I’m a manager, and you can’t have a team member dictating things or setting a bad example to the rest of the team. The Guendouzi situation is down to Guendouzi, not Arteta. We paid £7m for him. We will make a profit on him…I’m very confident of that!

4-2-3-1 is a good formation and gives the right balance between attack and defence and suits the players we have in the squad. He always said that he wanted to return to a back four but needed to give Gabriel time initially to settle into the squad and playing in the PL. If we go out in the summer and buy another good CB and a good CM to partner Partey, we will be solid…add a creative midfielder / No.10 and we are in business next season.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on the Partey thing. I think it was pretty clear he was rushed back for Spurs and both he and the team paid the price for it. Arteta could have easily left him out, we weren’t heavily favored in the game to begin with, and we wound up still playing like shit. I thought it was really bad management and incredibly short-sighted.

You’re also banking our success next season on three new starters? I’m not sure that’s realistic with the way this squad is set up. Not unless we’re changing the way we want to do business.

2 Likes

Ok so taking each in turn…

(1) Fair enough. If you want to look short term that’s fine. Not for me. In any case, Arteta ain’t getting sacked so I’m looking forward to the end of the season when so many fans change their view of Arteta.

(2) It’s relevant because they are competing for a top four spot as well. The league is really tight this season. If it was any other year, we would have no chance, but we absolutely have an excellent chance to have a strong finish to the season.

(3) Sorry, but don’t agree.

(4) ‘Finished’ also failed to win the league in 2016. That was our season. He was also responsible for some of the worst recruitment that the club has done. I supported Wenger 100%, but he didn’t leave the club in a good state. He had an opportunity to really build on the 2014 and 2015 FA Cup wins, but we failed to do that.

I’d forgotten about Olympiakos. Cheers. Always nice to rip the scab off and start fresh.

1 Like

We have every chance in the summer to bring in some top quality players. With Luiz, Sokratis, Mustafi, Kolasinac and Ozil gone, we are already going to be saving £750K from our wages bill. We will be able to sell Torreira and Guendouzi for decent sums and I expect Chambers to be sold as well. With those savings and sales that’s easily £80m and probably more. If we get into Europe next season, we can easily afford to go out and buy 3 new top quality players in key positions.

You obviously have a higher opinion of Edu and Arteta when it comes to scouting. I’m not convinced yet. I don’t know that Arteta even knows how to properly use a creative player.

1 Like

Well atm I’m VERY happy with Gabriel, Partey and Mari. Gabriel and Partey are the BEST two signings we have made in recent years during a summer transfer window…wouldn’t you agree? If not, when have we had a better transfer window?

I was confident in the summer that we would make a big signing and the club didn’t let me down. I fully expect that we will have a very good window in the summer.

I’m not sure just because Chelsea are underachieving and Lampard should be sacked that we should use that as a defence for our poor season.

1 Like

There are loads of managers that have, either only been at their clubs for just over a season, or who are new to the PL and who also don’t have the resources we do and who are higher in the league.

I wanted Rodgers because he was proven in the PL but I would have also had any of Ancelotti, Pochettino, Allegri or Nagelsmann and we could have had any of them.
Both Rodgers and Ancelotti have done better than Arteta with smaller clubs and very few players that would get in our first team.

How Arteta could come out and say that he needs three or four top quality players to get us challenging for the title is beyond belief.
The only people I know who think Arteta is doing a good job are spurs supporters.
What does he have to do to convince you he isn’t the right manager for us?

I agree.
I’ve been saying Arteta is a cowardly manager for most of this season.
He is far too unadventurous and it is a myth that he has sorted out our defensive frailties when, in fact, eight losses in eighteen games would suggest otherwise.

If we were sitting in the top four playing boring, sideways football, it wouldn’t be so bad.
But this is an Arsenal team sitting in the bottom half, with the lowest goals scored and chances made, as well as playing the most boring football most supporters will have seen us play and struggling to beat relegation teams.

To make it worse, Arteta keeps picking the same under performing players, thinking things will change, which clearly isn’t working.

1 Like

You need to!

1 Like

:anguished:

So are you telling me that real life law offices and court rooms aren’t exactly like they are on TV? This is like finding out Father Christmas isn’t real.

2 Likes

Looks like Lamptey isn’t happening. Signed a new 5 year contract. Hope they relegated and we poach him in the summer

At the moment it doesn’t look like anything is happening. We may only get players out and nobody in.

1 Like

Not bothered that we’ve missed out on Lamptey. Right back is arguably the easiest position to find capable young players.

1 Like

Why, so Arteta can bench him for Bellerin? :arteta:

3 Likes

Is it really though? How many Tiernery-esque young players are there out there?

1 Like

TAA, Reece James, AWB, Lamptey, James Justin, Max Aarons, Tyrick Mitchell and this is only English players. They’ll be another emerging right back soon enough.

Left back is a completely different story.

Most of which are at clubs that won’t sell to us and the others are questionable whether they could make the step up barring Lamptey.

I’m talking about those of the requisite quality though I do agree there is more talent in RB than LB at least for England anyways.

I prefer no signing to another underwhelming, head-scratching signing like Soares. We don’t have the money (or the brains) to go big and it’s the January window where things are difficult as it is. So realistically, us off loading some of the dead wood is the best we can hope for.

I say the above after having given up on this season.

5 Likes

Ozil is done. Still waiting on Papa though.
We’ve got less than 2 weeks. :scream:

2 Likes