Arsenal transfers 24/25

At least in American football it’s definitely a cliche that Black quarterbacks are talented or gifted but not smart or tough. It’s baffling, especially when you look at my guy Lamar who has to be pretty football savvy to run the RPO.

2 Likes

The reason those kind of assertions are frowned upon is because they rarely speak of the skill, intelligence or technical ability of said players.

“Pace” and “power” when referring to black footballers is lazy journalism or punditry rooted in racial stereotypes particularly when their other elements to their game are neglected which they almost always are.

@Castiel: attributing race to everything? Nah not at all, it’s a valid criticism.

1 Like

Luckily that is changing. Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, Prescott, Murray, Hurts. More and more black starting quarterbacks.

2 Likes

In this case it’s absolutely not though, I haven’t seen a single person say they wanted Biss at Arsenal to partner Partey because of his race or ethnic heritage. No one has said anything more than that he’s a good midfielder that is better than what we have and none of these comments have been remotely back handed.

The narrative has already been twisted for some reason that I can’t understand and that completely validates my point. CG has said that he dosn’t want to continue down this path as it was more of a ramble and I’m inclined to agree with him so I won’t be continuing further either. The larger picture is something worth discussing but in regards to this thread and this player I really don’t think this needs to analysed any further.

4 Likes

From what I’ve read he wasn’t referring to it in Bissouma’s case but part of a wider problem in the game and that’s what I’ve followed up on in my post by replying to @BizzySignal.

Not to be controversial bro, and I understand the point you and and @arsenescoatmaker where making, but this gets said a lot and I haven’t personally seen many examples of this (as in a player who is only praised for his athleticism)

Granted I’m only subscribed to the Athletic and the rest of the stuff I read are from Reddit, or sky sports or goal or random google searches (So not really a very wide pool of football journalism), but Ive watched football my whole life and I don’t remember anyone describing Ronaldinho in this way, or Henry who was always complimented on his intelligence, maybe some of the older guys can clear this up (as I was too little to personally remember) but I don’t ever recall Rocastle or Thomas being described in this way either, Don’t remember Jay Jay Okocha being described in this way. Like yeah some of these players were complimented on their pace, but in addition to their skill. And yeah sometimes you hear people say that about defensive midfielders, but that’s kind of the attributes that someone in that position should have anyway. Even Makelele used to get praised for his intelligence more than his strength and power. I personally feel like maybe to much is read in to all of this, have to just agree to disagree on this I suppose.

5 Likes

That’s probably the most controversial thing in your post. Shocking revelation.

9 Likes

I hear it all the time and players themselves have been speaking up, it’s an issue no doubt about it so yeah agree to disagree but it isn’t hard find examples.

1 Like

:joy::rofl: I have been for like a year and a half, had to keep that shit under wraps though since Orny and crew fell from grace. I watched from the sidelines as my fellow athletic subscribers took the abuse, banter and shame. Sometimes joining indirectly by liking the posts of the abusers. It’s a sick world we’re living in bro.

20 Likes

You may well have taken poster of the year if you’d joined in :grin:

6 Likes

@Calum this guy left you hanging for 1.5 years bro, taking all that abuse, like this:

8 Likes

Yeah it was my Robert the Bruce moment.

1 Like

Its alright remember pre athletic it was football 365 everyone thought I was the CEO

5 Likes

Poor @Calum. Dude’s been taking heaters from OA for months!

2 Likes

I wouldn’t swap Hector for Dumfries. Better Mazraoui.

@Phoebica wouldn’t swap for Dumfries or all of Scotland put together.

3 Likes

We’ve got Maitland-Niles. We don’t need no Hector replacement. Cedric can more than cover as backup too.

1 Like

I wouldn’t swap a bag of chips for Scotland, let along Hector! :smirk:

I’ve never watched Denzel Dumfries, but I’m going to judge him on the fact that he is nearly 25 and has never left Holland.

And don’t anybody try and give me examples of decent footballers who were still playing in a lesser league at that age. I don’t want to hear it. I’ve made my mind up. Hector stays :hipster:

5 Likes

Dumfries is average. We shouldn’t go near him. He has caps for Holland purely because his competition is Joel Veltman and Hans Hateboer. :facepalm: We haven’t had a decent right-back since… Reiziger?

5 Likes

Not if Hector wanna leave.