Arsenal transfers 23/24

It will be interesting to see what Ins and Outs happens in our defence this summer after the deals announced this week. We now have 8 centre backs and only really need 5 maximum, so at least 3 need to be moved on in the summer. I still think we should be looking to another a top quality CB to partner Saliba. Who should stay and who should go?

Saliba
Luiz
Mari
Holding ?
Chambers ?
Sokratis ?
Mustafi ?
Mavropanos ?

Personally, I would opt for Sokratis, Mustafi and Mavropanos…

1 Like

Is he a leader at Atletico? I haven’t been able to watch a ton La Liga. I thought Koke was the main man there.

I would keep Holding and Sokratis.
Holding because he seems like the best/most talented of the remaining 5, and Sokratis because he has 0 resale value unlike Chambers, Mustafi and Mavro (who also doesn’t look up to standard)

1 Like

You might aswell treat him as non entity wrt squad planning. Don’t think he’ll be here beyond next season.

I’d keep Holding and Mustafi, the rest are useless

Saliba, Luiz, Mari, Mustafi, Papa and Chambers(who is a risk given his injury).
Mavro and Holding on loan.
Although, I get a feeling Papa will leave. He probably has suitors as well which makes Arsenal’s life easier.

It seems 5 others have been preferred to Sokratis since the restart. I imagine he’s one of the ones going.

Yeah, apparently he suffered injury just before the restart but even so, I think Luiz and Mustafi are Mikel’s main CB partnership. Mari is also definitely staying. Feels like Papa is the odd man out.

He’s been injured.

Small extract from a Cantwell article in The Athletic.

Cantwell expects to be fit for Wednesday night. While the Norfolk-born star loves playing for his hometown club, there has always been a soft spot for Arsenal. An empty Emirates Stadium is still the Emirates Stadium.

Anyone take him?

1 Like

Looks a very tidy player, someone I’d definitely bring here.

Nah, Cantwell is average at best. A Chinese whispers player. Bottom half of the Premier League is his ceiling.

If we get a top quality, experienced CB, to partner Saliba, then I can see maybe three of those going.
Not only will we have too many average CB’s but it will help pay for who ever comes in.

If we do get Upamecano, he and Saliba would be our main CB pairing with Mustafi, Luiz, Mari and possibly Chambers, who can play in several defensive positions, that would be more than adequate cover.

I know our defensive injury record is one of the worst in Europe but even we don’t need that many CB’s so I can see Sokratis, Holding, Mavropanos leaving, which would go some way to paying for a new CB and their wages.

1 Like

Some better balance in midfield with defensive cover will halve the short comings in defence.
Tbf there has been some improvement since Arteta arrived on that. A real top quality defence coach would save us millions on this. Yesterday again ball watching on every ball in the air no matter how many players we have back there.

4 Likes

He’s decent, but Buendia is the Norwich player that really excites me.

3 Likes

Appreciate Cantwell’s a gooner but I doubt he’ll improve us much. Would be too expensive to be worth our time.

1 Like

Me too, I’ve mentioned wanting him in this thread.

Looks like a gem of a player and fits the mould of a young, tenacious and versatile player we should be after.

1 Like

Atleti bound no?

I’ve never heard this phrase before, what does it mean?

Yeah. On top of that, the guys good with the ball at his feet and seems to have a decent football brain too. And is pretty disciplined as well.
We should snap him up before someone else does, cause he’s going to be pretty expensive once he gets recognised playing for a bigger team.

3 Likes

Search ‘Hector Bellerin’ on urban dictionary.