Arsenal transfers 23/24

Yep! Feels like some of us are broken records now by crying out for a RB

2 Likes

Not sure how itā€™s any different to the Kola signing other than this guy being way more susceptible to injury.

Hopefully its all BS

1 Like

Horrible injury record. Such a shame as he looked to be a very promising full back a few years back.

Tbf weā€™ve gotten a lot of use out of Kola and Iā€™ll be honest heā€™s not as bad as people make out at times. But with him here it makes no sense, surely Kola will do until Tierney finds his form and fitness, another mediocre full back makes no sense.

7 Likes

If this is real it really scares me.

We have 1 RB, who is injured and has been for over a year, and our only back up is a CM youth.

We have 2 LBs, and now weā€™re looking at another LB and not an RB?!

This is the kind of stupid shit and transfer policy we were perplexed by for years under Wenger and Emery where we would buy players that were superfluous to the team and not in positions that we desperately needed to reinforce.

I really hope this is just Twitter bollocks.

1 Like

Maybe Kurzawa is just better? I wouldnā€™t really know, but although I tend to agree that Kola isnā€™t quite as bad as people make out sometimes, and is good enough as a back-up option, maybe in Kurzawa they just see a player who is actually good enough and in Kola not. People who have watched him more would have to tell usā€¦

This isnā€™t really an accurate representation of the situation. At the moment we seem to have two rather capable RBs. Selling BellerĆ­n would be a big decision, he probably deserves another season here, for next season AMN and BellerĆ­n at RB is totally fine.

Iā€™ve watched him a bit and donā€™t see anything special about him at all and if itā€™s true heā€™s coming as an Emery recommendation then fuck that. I was way more on board with the Meunier rumours as he would have solved a hole in a problem area and offer not only competition to Bellboy but actually give us an entirely new type of full back to utilise.

For us though these types of transfers rarely work out and Iā€™m way more on board with signing the unknown types like this Brazilian CM who looks like he legitimately could be a star in the making. I suppose I need to remember we have Tierney who I think will be superb and long term, but for the moment we may as well make do with Kola like you say.

Also honestly I think people need to remember how far we are behind the other top teams when weā€™re considering AMN and the non existent Bellerin capable. I do think Hector is good enough for a top side but he needs to show it on the pitch, every time Iā€™ve seen him play in the last couple of seasons he looks like his injuries have ruined him, not to mention he never was good defensively so that doesnā€™t exactly put us in a strong position at RB. As for AMN, well heā€™s never going to be a top class full back.

1 Like

Yeah I donā€™t understand the logic in getting Kurzawa when we have Tierney and Kolasinac.

Kola has been just fine, I honestly donā€™t see the point in 3 LBs especially not if one of them is super injury prone.

2 Likes

Just had a look at Mertens stats, heā€™s still doing pretty well tbh.

Selling Lacazette and signing Mertens on a free could make some sense. Not sure how capable of pressing and maintaining a high level of intensity he is though, people who watch him more would have to say.

Donā€™t think he has the legs he did 2 seasons ago under Sarri when he could press with intensity. But a 30 minute Mertens could definitely still do a job.

I think signing a 29-30 year old Mertens would have been a dream for Arteta.

I think it would have been a dream for most of us. Iā€™d actually love us to throw a few coins at Napoli now and see if we could get him in January. I think heā€™d make the rest of this season exciting, and I think people put way too much stock in age these days, now if a player is over 26 people consider him ready for retirement- without ever really looking at what type of player it is.

Small technical players like Mertens score their goals through craft and guile, his games never been about size and strength so he could easily walk into this side and be one of our most important players. Hell look at Santi still doing bits in Spain after all he went through at his age. When you have that game-craft you can get an extra year or two out of yourself at the top levels.

2 Likes

A five year deal for a guy who barely plays, has injury problems, form problems and is probably making too much money at PSG?

Seems totally legit.

Saw a rumor on Twitter that this was basically another super agent deal/contact based recruitment. Hopefully itā€™s not true.

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Layvin Kurzawa

I think the issue with Mertens is that he may not rely on his physicality but players age nonetheless and part of his excellence was his combination of skill, technique and his strong tactical adherence and awareness.

Hopefully we can bring him in and his all round quality can shine for at least 6-18 months but Iā€™m not quite as optimistic as I would have been if we got him 2-3 years ago.

1 Like

Nothing to Guimaraes, Kurzawa coming, Ceballos not favoured.

Orny giveth and Orny taketh awayā€¦ :santi:

Shit, Guimares looked like a really tidy, technical midfielder.

1 Like

Feels like Ceballos has been struggling with injuries forever now (both at Arsenal and Madrid).

Still interested to see how he looks under Arteta.

Season is long, things can change fast.

edit: also, fuck Orny. Can it get any more ā€˜cover my basesā€™ than ā€œtold by a couple of people that this is just media speculation at this moment in time (could change)ā€

I choose to believe in Guimaraes.

GASPARGODTETIOLAREIGNOGASMOOOOOOO

4 Likes

Ceballos has had one good half an hour vs Burnley.

I wonā€™t be crying if Arteta doesnā€™t want him.

5 Likes

What about them pirouettes though? He does them so well, even when it doesnā€™t provide anything of value.

1 Like

Good listen this!