Arsenal Team of the Decade

I can’t decide who I would prefer Cesc/Ozil

So I’ve got two “my team of the decade”, one with Ozil one with Cesc. Also I never rated Per, Sokratis is the perfect dirty defender we always needed to partner with prime Kosh better never got, so for me I got Sokratis in there. Fuck the haters.

Team 1.

Team 2.

Can only assume you also struggle with other tough conundrums like: would I rather pay extortionate rates of rent or just be homeless.

7 Likes

Fabregas left us in 2011 so I didn’t even consider him.

Though there’s no point trying to reason with someone who has put Sokratis in their team :laughing:

2 Likes

You’re up early

So are you

Ahh I’m addicted to this place. That’s my excuse

(I also have to shave my head)

4 Likes

@Phoebica Why? Sokratis is a good defender, can’t Solely blame him for the entire teams inability to defend or the fact he is forced to play out the back when he clearly can’t. Considering this decade has been one where our defense has been bad in general and our current team was managed by a manager who was actually worse than Wenger playing against much better overall competition. Everyone seems to be looking back with rose tinted glasses as if we had some sort of solid defence with Mertesacker. He was one of the worst first team defenders we’ve ever had, and with the exception of the 8-2 loss to United has been part of some of our worst defensive displays in the history of the club.

6-3 loss to City
6-0 loss to Chelsea
5-1 loss to Liverpool
10-2 loss to Bayern
5-1 loss to Bayern
5-1 loss to Barcelona
4-0 loss to Milan
4-4 draw to Newcastle
4-0 loss to Southampton

And that’s just a few examples, a lot more for anyone who wants to go and look. It’s actually funny because when you look back over the results we’ve actually been garbage for the last decade :rofl::joy:

@JakeyBoy why are you acting like there is a clear cut difference between the two players, 2015/16 Ozil is as good as any season Cesc has had at Arsenal. Regardless both are two completely different players and would be suited to two different setups which is what makes it hard to pick between them.

Sokratis is a walking yellow card with lazy positioning and average defending abilities. To have him in any team of the decade is criminal. He’s not even the best current CB at the club so no matter how poor our options have been - there should be no place for Sokratis.

7 Likes

I’d wake up really early if I had to do that too :crazy_face:

1 Like

I mean you just said it but I guess to spell it out would be that Ozil only reached Cesc’s levels once in his career. Cesc was a world class player all the time, not just when you pushed his buttons or he felt like it.

There is a clear cut difference between the two, you don’t need to act like it.

1 Like

That could be said about every defender we’ve had in the past decade. Varmaelen, Kosh, Per etc… have all had problems with concentration and horrible positioning especially for set pieces. Sokratis was arguably our best defender last season, and there was even fans calling for him to be team captain. Guy was part of the Bundesliga XI not that long ago so can’t be that bad.

Lol How has Cesc been world class his whole career? He was a flop at Barcelona and moved on 2 seasons in. If he was world class his whole career he wouldn’t end up in Ligue 1 at 30. Regardless that’s a different debate.

Ozil has had the highest number of assists in Europe numerous times, is a World Cup winner etc… but regardless their two completely different players and would both be good in different types of set ups.

Personally I don’t even like Ozil, but if you asked fans outside of Arsenal I’m sure you would get more mixed results as to who is better. Not as clear cut as fan boys like you and jakey want to believe it is.

1 Like

Arsenal career obviously.

This is ArsenalTeam of the Decade, didn’t think this was worth pointing out, you really shouldn’t put people in this team based on their merits elsewhere.

If that’s ok I’d like Messi in mine.

Yeah and it’s of the decade, Fabregas left in 2011. So we’re not comparing what he was like in 2004-2009. That’s one year and a half this decade, which is comparable to Ozil’s one or two good years THIS decade.

Regardless there are two different formations, and both players play in different positions so it doesn’t really matter, because their not like for like comparisons.

You’re right about that, I hadn’t clocked it in.

But in that case I’d consider leaving both of them out then.

I was just having a laugh, no need for devastating and hurtful insults like fan boy.

3 Likes

Hardly a flop 28 goals 31 assists in 3 seasons as a midfielder where he had to compete with xavi iniesta and sercuntio buscunt

As soon as he came back to England 3 goals 18 assists in his first season isnt sad either.

He was best at arsenal and easily my favourite post invincible player we have had and probably always will be. I’ll never see someone control a game, a premier league game, as easily as him and split defences open as easily as him.

That is a flop by Barcelona standards, which isn’t that impressive when broken down over the 3 years and he was frequently deployed higher up.

Look how many minutes he played.

Ozil took 6 years to score that many league goals for us and 3 seasons to get more assists whilst taking all of our set pieces etc.