Announcement on Nationality based posting

Plenty of fair points in there. But we are where we are. As I say above this is something that’s been under discussion among mods for months at this stage.

1 Like

Thankfully sheep shagger isn’t food based :wink:

1 Like

Sheep are indeed food last I checked.

Depends what you’re doing with them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pirlo is a legendary sheep shagger

3 Likes

Hopefully this will encourage the development of a bit more of a filter on his part. We all like him but you have to draw a line somewhere with certain words.

Wait, was my post in this thread deleted??

I thought it was a pretty fair and respectful post. I don’t see why it warranted deletion and feel like it might have given a bit of cultural context to why Cuellar might have said what he said.

1 Like

@Cristo because you went ahead and used the word Cuellar used about four fucking times in your post. After it being said that those words remain absolutely banned and that there would be pretty much a zero tolerance policy. Wisen up.

The last thing we need in this thread is for people to start throwing around the slur that got someone banned, even in the context you used it. It’s very counter productive, you use it four times, people start responding to you using the word to discuss and debate it’s use and before we know it we’ve got that word flying around everywhere minutes after clarifying that the word isn’t tolerated in the slightest.

You weren’t also providing the forum with some amazing service by trying to explain away his use of the word, it’s not a big cultural mystery that people from different cultures can have a different attitude to the use of certain words, with them being racial slurs to some people and not to others. Cuellar is smart enough and adept enough with English to know what isn’t acceptable to say but he loves pushing those boundaries. This is ultimately a British forum and people need to know that if a word is considered a racial slur in Britain then it’s not to be used. There can’t be any arguments about that really. There are people on this forum who have been assaulted, spat at, abused whilst being called that word and they should not have to risk coming on here and have people casually using it (I mean Cuellar not you here really, but the point stands).

This incident comes hot on the heels of him making a post that was considered very offensive and racist by the person it was directed at, which almost got him the same length of ban. He’s got a bit of a problem with the way he expresses himself at times, hopefully he comes back in a week (the shortest and most lenient ban we’ve ever given for a race based infringement) and just thinks more carefully about the language he uses before posting.

That’s the dream anyway, because we all like him and value him as a poster, and this decision wasn’t exactly one we were in a rush to make, clearly I think.

2 Likes

Ok I see, I’m not allowed to insult Cristo of being Danish.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So what’s actually gone on here?

Well I just hope Cuellar doesn’t take this as an end to OA journey like some did in past.

Arsenal is giving no incentive to stick around so it is our normal connection with each other that keeps us here.

Adapt Cuellar, we value you as a poster here, be as high & mighty you come across.
I will certainly not want this forum to be pun less.

I know you are joking but it’s the last thing we want because a) we quite like the general laid back nature of the place too and b) none of us have the time.

I’ve specifically left this thread open because we’re more than prepared to discuss these things. But my OP here makes clear these new rules that we really felt we had no other course of action but to introduce.

Why though? Just because one person, who’s well known as a huge pompous ass anyways, was being flat out racist and got far too comfortable around here? The nationality food based insults are so dumb I can’t believe anyone takes those seriously and I don’t think you can class calling someone a rotten haggis as racist, at least not with a straight face.

3 Likes

Rotten haggis . Brilliantly funny .
We’ll soon have to wrap everyone and everything up in cotton wool .

4 Likes

Nor have we classed it as racist. But the environment has become if we can say this then we can say that. So we’re cutting it out.

I will say it again. this is not just about one post, the issue has been discussed among us mods for many, many months.

It’s common sense though to any well adjusted human being. Someone you have been conversing with for years on the forum, calling them a pasta boy especially considering it’s a well established inside joke, ok. Using a racial slur is never ok. Maybe I’ve just not noticed the huge rash of ppl using racial slurs on OA due to the food humor giving them the courage to do so, if that’s the case then I’m wrong. Common sense. I’ll shut up now.

4 Likes

We must simply cut out any food related insults there’s not mushroom for it . We all might be fungi’s but enouf is enouf .
It’s simply not neces-celery .

Come on you Gooners .
Let’s get behind them in today’s final .

11 Likes

@AbouCuellar when you get back, this is how it’s done! :santi2:

7 Likes

Some fucking massive ingratitude in this thread for people who give up their time for nothing to make sure there’s a website for you to enjoy.

I imagine someone might want to get precious about a moderator putting it in such terms. Feel free, but you’ve now been warned fairly about a completely legitimate decision.

1 Like