Alexis Sánchez

No.
But there aren’t many midfielders in Europe better than Sanchez, so it would be impossible for a club not playing in the CL to attract them here, unless they are one of Europe’s elite clubs.

Whatever happens we are going to have to replace him at the end of the seasons anyway, so we might as well do it this season.
It’s not like we got a top four place with him in the side, so to have a player that doesn’t want to be here, I can’t see it being much different.

We could go for Mahrez who is already a top PL midfielder or Lemar who has potential, or both.

I really wanted Sanchez to stay because he is the best player we have had since RVP, and possibly one of the best and most influential midfielders since Wenger came here.
But I want him to stay because he wants to, and signs a new contract, not because he has been forced to see out his contract.
I understand Wenger is perfectly within his rights to do this but I don’t think it’s the right decision.

Not that he, you know, pays taxes.

6 Likes

Wonder if the thinking is that we keep Sanchez this season he leaves on a free and then we try to get griezmann? After all he is one of Lacazettes big friends and he was due to move this season to AM know he is basically gone now Manu have Lukaku i dont think they will pursue as much. I reckon maybe we could have enough to lure him here if we do well next season.

No we’re not.

meh. I give up with you.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Beginning to think he’s staying for this season now.

https://twitter.com/DaveHytner/status/887404115353108480

Özil Alexis

Lacazette

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Since we aren’t getting Lemar we need him this season.

2 Likes

I’m all for standing firm on Alexis unless the offer we get is insanely high, I do think keeping him though shouldn’t effect any further potential signings as we all know its likely he is off next summer.

1 Like

Well, i would try to get a CM or a defender now.

If we could get 50m for him but make him see out his contract, and he plays fifty games, then that works out he is costing us 1m a game.

50 million we don’t currently have. How do you lose something you don’t have? If I don’t win the lottery, have a I lost 8 million USD or 2 dollars?

3 Likes

If you have a winning ticket and don’t bother to collect it, you lose it.

Ideal situation is we keep Alexis for one more year then sign Lemar to give him a season to bed in to the club country and league

4 Likes

I haven’t lost anything but the price of the ticket. I haven’t gained anything. I’m not debating whether or not he should be sold (or in the case cashing in the lottery ticket). I’m just taking exception to the statement that not selling him is losing us money. It’s not. No amount of mental gymnastics will change the fact that you can’t lose what you don’t have.

1 Like

Eh, you lose value. If you have 10k in shares today and they’re not worth a thing in a years time you’ve lost 10k. Players are worth money on the market or else there wouldn’t be a market to begin with.

1 Like

That argument goes both ways though. A player is also worth money if we keep them in the squad. How many more game would we lose if don’t have Alexis? Also, he’s number 8 on the most shirts sold. No small chunk of change that.

No it doesn’t.

Certainly, it does go both ways. Of course he’s also worth the money to the club as he wouldn’t have to be replaced this summer but the summer after, so that is money saved for one more year and theoretically also can be written off for another year but it’s still not going to be a small sum that is effectively lost to the club assuming we’re not suddenly going to have an outstanding season this time.

If we do, fair enough. Right decision made by the club and Wenger. If we don’t, well it’s probably going to look more foolish than Dortmund keeping hold of Lewandowski.

If we have Alexis our chances of qualifying for next seasons champions league improve dramatically, how much is that worth to us ?

1 Like

According to that article I posted the club and wenger believe they can recoup the loss of a transfer fee with the CL qualification money

1 Like