Alex Iwobi

Think we should deploy him centrally, between the lines. Just does the same old shit out wide. Run into cul-de-sac with head down, rinse repeat.

Needs to learn to receive the ball, pass it on quickly then move. He’ll be forced to do that in tighter central areas and it’ll sharpen his game.

2 Likes

This dude can make some short passing doesn’t mean he has the ability to do a job in the central.

I think he should have been a CM all along, he’s not a wide player or #10 that’s for sure. Never has been as far as the first team is concerned.

He’s a decent dribbler and can carry the ball well enough, it’s when he gets to the final third that he has little idea what to do and can freeze, if he was a left sided CM in a three that was tasked with working hard, bringing the ball up field and distributing through the lines it would most likely shift people’s perception of him, there would be much less demand for end product too.

Have no idea why with his attributes he’s consistently deployed in the final third, it simply doesn’t suit him.

1 Like

can he do a better job than Guen as CM???

Looked great at the start of the season, but now i don’t see what he can offer. Completely useless.

2 Likes

No way a top footballer would be allowed to lose the ball like that without consequences. I struggle to think what they should be though.

We need to try to shift him in the summer. 20m is way too scarce, 30m-35m sounds more like it. He is 22 after all with almost 90 PL appearances for a club of Arsenal’s stature and still has an aura of potential around him.

Someone up there should make the decision he is not good enough already and we should try to shift him while the asset is still hot. I shudder to think we will give him another 3-4 years to develop (while delivering mediocre performances), end up giving him a long, well-paid contract which will tie him to the club until his late 20s and end up in a situation where we cannot get rid and will have to let him go for peanuts.

He is still a hot prospect and lots of clubs might think he will develop well inside their structure, so the time to squeeze as much cash as possible out of him is right now.

1 Like

Wouldn’t be against it but we are pretty bereft of wide talent right now and Iwobi is one of few players who can take defenders on. We really seem to lack intelligent players since around the time Santi left…

I think with Iwobi if you get big offer, sell… otherwise he still has upside and if he is 3rd choice wide player and 2nd choice AM, could be useful. Just not good enough yet to be starting reliably for us.

Didn’t look like it yesterday when he decided to take on Laporte in his own box.

2 Likes

Well he was colossally awful yesterday lol. One of his worst ever performances for us imho.

The only time I’ve seen him play worse was like a week ago against the other Manchester team. Says it all really. The kid’s confidence is shot, he’s out of his depth, why he keeps getting starts I really just don’t know.

I mean the ironic part is you imagine he’s getting starts over other players because Emery expects him to do more defensively, but when you’re giving the ball away on the edge of your box 50 seconds into a big game it kinda makes that strategy redundant.

5 Likes

As others have said, seems his skill set would be better suited to a central midfield role as part of a 3.

He’s not going to have a breakout season. This is his level. Don’t think he’d get even half the minutes he gets at Arsenal compared to the other top 6 clubs.

He has transfer value at least. Wouldn’t mind at all if he was sold this summer. He’s closing in on being 23 and has had enough game time for us to determine what his level is.

2 Likes

It’s a good point that, and one I think we forget. Even on his better performance days he’s just not got the pace and the bend on his final ball to be a winger, but this season it’s been his sole position. Gotta have a bit of sympathy for him there.

Either way I don’t think he cuts it for us as a starter aswell. I’m still more than happy to have him on the books as an option off the bench. Think he does have some solid physical qualities which come in handy.

2 Likes

It’s a small dick level of defensive work, were you’re meant to put a shift in.

Whereas Pep for example has it right, at least in this era to a certain extent. Where you can’t concede if you have the ball so the best defence is a good attack with players that can keep the ball or not be stupid with it.

But I guess Emery isn’t really for that based on his selections.

1 Like

Shat on the kid a lot the previous season but can’t deny he looks like a new man this season. He’s grooming into some player. Would be one of the guys I would like to see next season as well, given a potential overhaul.
People give him too much stick. He fucked up gor the first goal yeah but he had a good performance overall. City just too good down the left.

If some of us believe that Guen is taking too much minutes and starts for us, Iwobi should be in that category also. Some even suggested we let him try the CM role.
In fact, he started for us more than enough to show he is not (yet) in starter level for us.
Playing minutes is never a problem for him, so his form and confidence level dropped is not related of game time.

What does this mean?

1 Like

I think it means thst if theres a squad overhaul in the summer, Iwobi is one of the players he’d like to see stay with us.

5 Likes

It would probably be his last chance though, as he has not stepped up at all this season.

That makes sense now. I was thinking he wanted the player overhauled :joy:

2 Likes

I don’t even think it’s about him not stepping up - he’s just dreadfully average and this is as good as he gets. I can’t see his ceiling being much / any higher at all.

12 Likes