Alex Iwobi

@AbouCuellar, i’m glad you have changed your mind about him, as you were doubtful about him last season. He’s a starter for me as well. He’s direct and has an eye for the goal.

Iwobi out for up to a month with a thigh strain according to Ben Dinnery.

Perhaps our best option for the wing opposite Sanchez right now… back to the knucklehead crew with Theo and Ox… so many players who could have potentially improved our wing over the last few years. Could also see AW slotting Ramsey wide, which is better than him in the middle but is still ridiculous that he is starting for us.

Luckily we’ve got an international break so he’ll miss 2 or 3 games max, probably the same for Ramsey.

Yeah, he will miss the next two games.

Too early to say Phew?

With Wenger’s fascination of playing a playmaker on the RW, he should really start considering Iwobi now he is fit again.

Thought he looked a bit like he was coming back to earth last night, the game looked a bit fast for him (a bit, not way too fast rendering you totally incompetent as with Ox), as you’d expect for a player of his age.

My friend (he’s Nigerian, so not the most objective in this case…) thought he played really well again.

Thoughts?

At least he always tries, unlike Chamberlain.

I thought he looked a bit off the pace last night

Should of scored a winner as well near the end

1 Like

Needs to pull his socks up imo. :gunnersaurus:

5 Likes

Liked the old school black boots he wore, very impressive look and I hope he keeps it up

2 Likes

I thought he was a bit off the pace, which is to be expected really given that this was his first start after an injury spell, but that he was still one of our better players. He was in the middle of our (few) threatening moves and combined well with Ozil and Sanchez. He had the right idea with that late chance and was pretty composed in the way he took it, but he just didn’t hit it accurately, which might have been related to his legs going a bit after 83 minutes.

In my view, he should be an automatic starter until he proves otherwise.

1 Like

He wasn’t great but who was? Alexis (before his goal) and Ozil didn’t stand out either. And the few times we did actually threaten he was either on the end of the chance or involved in it.

No doubt in my mind we should currently be playing an Alexis-Ozil-Iwobi attacking midfield.

He was literally our best attacking player up until we decided to play a normal formation.

2 Likes

I thought he was pretty decent. Got himself 2 great chances, just needs to work on his finishing really but he’s young and it was a high pressure game against a top European opponent.

He should have scored. Was a pretty easy chance to be honest.

It was yes and shouldda but he is a kid and the pressure on him it can make you lash at the ball etc but his general play was quite good. Now take Cavani a 60m striker (he must be lower than a snakes belly on confidence) couldnt hit an empty goal, nothing is a given in football it seems bigger and better players miss even easier goals than iwobi had a chance with.

Agreed, though I thought Alexis did pretty well given the lack of space and general lack of quality to our game/build-up.

In theory I agree with you and @Powderfinger, ie, he is the best player not-named Alexis on the wings. But it’ll be important to see how Lucas fits in…I feel that Alexis, Giroud, and Iwobi kind of get in each other’s way, so I think when Giroud plays it’s almost better that Theo plays. An Alexis-Lucas-Iwobi front 3 looks promising on paper, let’s see if Lucas can make it work.

He looks so young out there. He’s definitely talented and has good instincts and it showed in this game. But he does make classic youthful mistakes, the missed shot for instance. Once this kid learns how to really read a game and gets his fitness up… the sky is the limit. It’s all up to him, because the tools are there for everyone to see.

1 Like