Albert Sambi-Lokonga (Loan: Luton)

Has not once stood out in a game or imposed himself. We need more if we want a solid midfield.

However he’s still young. He could develop in a couple years time.

1 Like

Good luck kid. Apparently “overplayed” last season, well you’ll “overplay” this season too.

Cringing at the thought of it, hopefully the off season lasts forever.

2 Likes

How’d this dude play ? Did he manage to look a class above against garbage opposition ?

Deffo not starter material yet. Should play the EL games only. We need that blockbuster DM signing. A statement winger signing has to wait cuz of the you know who case.

Said this in the preseason thread as well. Not impressed with his performance again.
Has to do more. Lacks urgency and I feel he started playing it a bit too safe. Can’t have Ainsley and Elneny outperforming you like that, especially progressively he was the one I expected to pass it forward and transition us from defence to attack, yet it was the other two that were doing it.

3 games now, still not seeing with him. Lacks urgency in his game. I feel like this is an opportunity to make his mark but he isn’t really grabbing it like say Eddie for example.

I really, really hope we add another midfielder in. I understand Xhaka is most likely staying but that shouldn’t stop us from signing a midfielder. Let Lokonga go on loan like Saliba, in a top league, not the Belgian league. Let him have a full season there and refine his game more. Bring in Tielemans or Paqueta in. Xhaka can stay and still be part of the squad.

Im not sure a loan would help, hes been playing with Anderlecht since 2017.
He has played 23 and 33 games in his last 2 seasons them.
Hes also been involved with the national side since 2016 and is a full international at 23 years old.

I think he just needs time, settle into the league, the club, the country, he’ll be fine.

Respectfully, it’s the Belgian league.

1 Like

But hes been playing first team football in a European League for 2 seasons, so not sure what loaning him out would do.
I think he just needs time.

1 Like

There’s a difference learning your craft in the Belgian league for a declining Anderlecht for two seasons, than an actual top European league.
He doesn’t have under his belt. I would argue the English Championship currently is a tougher league than the Belgian league.

The whole “he needs time” excuse is out of the window now. Had a year to bed in. Got plenty of game time, which according to his relatives was more than they expected. If we are serious about competing this season I can’t see where he fits.

And staying and training with us, and playing in the Europa and domestic cups I think is an even better option

The age demographic of the team and style of play mostly should of suited him here. He doesnt have enough about his game or personality and left no signs of anything too invest time in.

5 Likes

Have you caught any of the preseason games @Stroller?

No mate. I don’t rate them tbh. Think with having new faces the bonding off the field is as important as anything on it.
Obviously for a striker it’s nice scoring a goal or two but even that’s a bit measured on circumstance in a friendly.

6 Likes

Same. I miss football, and am looking forward to it returning soon, but friendlies don’t scratch that itch. Think its because there are zero stakes. If you can lose 3-0 or win 3-0 and accept that either result is entirely inconsequential then it does nothing for me.

4 Likes

Sambi came in as this huge midfield prospect - it’s clear he has a nice range of passing and decent awareness. But it’s rarely translated to performances on the pitch.

His biggest issue is confidence, seems like quite a timid personality.

Big season ahead for him. He needs to shine in the Europa League where presumably he’ll get starts.

4 Likes

I get that. I am a believer myself of good preseason paying off, especially early on in the season.
I usually do focus on players like Eddie, Lokonga, Saliba who are most likely backup options. I feel it’s a great opportunity to make your mark. Often the case the best performers at preseason end up starting the season as well.
Guendouzi got into the side like that when he signed. Elneny the same when he came back from his loan.

I think Eddie has made a massive case to start the Palace game, perhaps in Martinelli’s place.

I’m a bit disappointed in this kid because he did show promise early on but he just hasn’t really stepped up. I found it very alarming to hear a relative of his say they didn’t expect him to get so much game time as an excuse for his form. I just don’t understand how an up and coming player that’s worth his money can shy away from the pressure of getting a run of games, even if it’s an unexpected one.
I gave him a pass late last season for failing to make an impact when Partey was out. I was expecting him to grab the opportunity of preseason to make a statement. As things stand though, he’s still behind Elneny and even Maitland-Niles in my eyes which is alarming.

I was down with the contract extension of Elneny as an emergency choice ahead of a hectic season but as things stand he’s our Partey alternative. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Sambi turns 23 in October as well. He’s not a youth player and I think it’s fair to be expecting more from him. He hasn’t progressed despite clearly possessing potential.

Vieira is also 22 and I’m sure expectations of him will be significantly higher. Just like Martinelli, ESR, Nketiah and even Saka face plenty of criticism despite their ages. Weird that Sambi seems to get a free pass tbh.

Sambi has to perform this season otherwise he’s another one we need to consign to the loan / sell pile. He’ll almost be 24 in summer 2023 and still in the “promising” category - not good enough for where we want to be.

4 Likes

The whole Belgian international point is also areach as well. I don’t think he regularly gets called up by them.
While names like KdB and Hazard get brought up when thinking of Belgium, their recent squads traditionally lacked depth in certain areas. Their depth midfield isn’t exactly great.

We’re not talking about Brazil, France and even England nowadays where it’s really hard to get a spot.