Alan Smith

2 Likes

He was my favourite player from that Graham team.
I saw his last game for Leicester after it was rumoured he was coming here and he applauded the North Bank as he went off, while wearing his Leicester shirt.
He was great in the air, there haven’t been many target men better than him and his hold up play was excellent.

Not a bad signing for 900k and won two League titles, FA Cup, League Cup and European Cup Winners Cup.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Wanted to put these pics in the first post but doesn’t give me the option to edit :grin:

Alan-Smith-rejected-Alex-Ferguson-1015600
download

3 Likes

Is this really a thing out there? I’ve always thought Smith was a great co comm and that he gets the balance right in terms of being for us without being against the other team.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard this before. Must be some more twitter nonsense at it again

Easy to forget him when you have greats like Henry and Wright but he was fantastic in helping us win the league scoring plenty of goals and linking up play so well.

Very clean player too and always seems like a nice guy.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Fun fact none of these overseas lads have scored a goal for us in a European final.
Bloody foreigners. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Smith was my favourite player when Graham was manager.

It was common knowledge that Graham was going to sign him from Leicester and I remember when we played them at Highbury, our supporters chanting his name as they walked off and he turned to the North Bank and he applauded back.

We haven’t had a better header of the ball since him and from set pieces he was one of the most dangerous in the league.

He’s up there with the best and we’ve had some great strikers.

1 Like

Naughty boy, now you’re starting trouble :joy:

1 Like

Vladimir Petrovic the greatest Arsenal player no-one has heard of

1 Like

I bought a book the other month called the Arsenal 100, charting all the players who scored a 100 goals for Arsenal in the past and giving a character profile of each player.

The foreword was by Alan Smith. Very humble fella.

1 Like

Really had big hopes for him and Stewart Robson forming a new midfield for us.
Thought we were going to the FA cup final in that semi in 83.
Played a very good first half Petrovic in that game.

Lost against United in the semi? I can remember watching that on espn

1 Like

My memory of him being I think he was our first overseas player so he had to be someone really special, well that’s how my young football mind worked in those days

League cup as well. Could of been a transformative season but alas. . .

1 Like

No your right he was good and as you say being overseas he brought a different skill set we hadn’t witnessed before.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/9smudge/status/1698405193002406362?s=46&t=LlMNFvsPPy2ozwuX8FhQrA

It was certainly fucking mad on my stream yesterday.

It does feel like the emirates has gotten a lot louder over the last 2 seasons - loudest ever

1 Like