Abou Diaby

Every player has different strengths and weaknesses. Saying never Yaya/Vieira potential is off base when they are 2 completely different types of players with different skillsets anyway. They only really had size and close ball control in common. Yaya was never the defensive shield Vieira was. You could also argue Vieira had suspect passing at times too but he played a vital role breaking up play, carrying the ball and keeping the passing simple within his limitations. Yaya was more often than not an all action attacking midfielder.

Diaby’s ability to drive up the pitch taking 2 opposition players out of the game before squaring it to a more creative player could have been his key role in the system. I think he was getting better with his decision making though before he finally broke down anyway. His reading of the game to quickly intercept the ball is also forgeten about. We’re talking about a player who’s body was pretty much broke down at the age of 24 and had minor outings there after.

Having said that we can agree he overcomplicated it and lost the ball a bit too much when he should of played it simple. I think he was getting past that by the time of that Liverpool performance but he was physical done by then unfortunately.

2 Likes

1:20

Talks about players who were scared to even train normally due to injuries. Reckon that’s Diaby or Wilshere.

1 Like

Didn’t he get this serious injury at like 19 years of age ? Hard to say what his ceiling would have been, what was Yaya Toure doing at 19 years of age ?

1 Like

He already had issues with injuries at France.

Yaya had trials at Arsenal at 20 years old.

He might have done but he had his ankle shattered here aged 20 and got it done a few other times which ruined him

That tackle is just horrendous. 0-3 in stoppage time too. Worse than Shawcross on Ramsey probably

2 Likes

That this guy got continued extensions (and pay rises to boot) confirms for me that Wenger could pretty much do whatever he wanted when it came to contracts.

6 Likes

A yellow card ffs. Commentator didn’t even think it was red.

2 Likes

Imagine if Diaby, RVP, Rosicky, Eduardo, Wilshere and Ramsey all had injury free careers

3 Likes

Imagine what his value would be in this day and age based on those clips alone :grin:

1 Like

Scored an amazing OG at United the season Ramsey broke his leg.

What a performance from him that day

https://twitter.com/afcstuff/status/1738544943889563800?t=Cn4JdMyMw9xmRADXv8g94A&s=19

4 Likes

They had such a medicre team at the time… Allen, Spearing, Shelvey…

On the other hand, our team looks quite balanced there. Shame Arteta and Diaby couldn’t play together for a bit longer, I think they suited each other perfectly.

Btw… Ban me, but I’ll repeat it again… We would have been so much better if we spended that Ozil money on Suarez or Higuain, or some top striker. That team was desperate for a guy like that and we ended spending a fortune on a positon where we had Cazorla who was already one of the best 10s in the league that season (2013) and ended up being mediocre when he got pushed to the wing next season.

Ozil, no matter how good he was, was just another example of horrible squad planning by Wenger. Simply he was just panic buy.

1 Like

We did try to spend it on both those guys right? We just failed.

That’s true, but we didn’t offer enough.

We offered about 30m I think for Higuain and Real wanted more. Napoli came and got him quickly when they offered what was needed.

We could have got him for a bit cheaper than what we gave for Ozil, but Arsene decided he wasn’t worth it.

IDK why I remember there being rumors about Madrid increasing the price over and over. Maybe it was just what Arsenal was leaking in order to cover for the fact we were having an awful summer.