Abou Diaby

@AbouCuellar

Good video, worth a watch :slight_smile: Diaby discussing his career with former team mate Jeremie Aliadiere at Highbury. Been yonks since Iā€™ve seen him!

Been watching random old Arsenal games from circa 06-08 (just extended highlights) and I think that if this guy was more consistent in his game (and probably injury free too) he would have been a real sight.

I know at times Iā€™m really harsh on him but watching him and then watching the scrubs weā€™ve got now - the difference is night and day.

8 Likes

For me thereā€™s no doubt he would have been a WC player and Barca bound if his body wasnā€™t so fragile.

Took you a while to figure it out ehhh. Even with the injuries and totally stunted development he was class to start the 12-13 season, and his performance in 09-10 is hugely underrated by Arsenal fans. Amazing player totally ruined by injury. Diaby >>> Pogba (and I rate Pogba).

2 Likes

The few times he was uninjured for more than a few games he started to look top class. It was a real shame for him and us.

I still cannot believe that Dermot Gallacher didnā€™t red card Dan Smith for the ankle breaking horror tackle he made on Diaby in that Sunderland game all those years back. Absolutely horrendous and refs didnā€™t protect Arsenal against the teams who decided roughing us up was the right way to play against us. Unfortunately stats seem to show refs costing Arsenal more than any other team in the league to this day.

3 Likes

No this narrative on refs is poor. Teams where trying this on our better sides but we looked out for one another better then. Freddie, Bergkamp and Henry all took no prisoners and gave plenty back.

2 Likes

Diaby at his peak or Kante?

Meh. The game changes. Cheating the rules is still cheating the rules even if you donā€™t take as good pre-emptive action. The refereeing was definitely poor in those years. I remember some fanatic who I followed who did a huge study of every single Arsenal match for like 3 seasons. Biased yes, and not scientifically rigorous, but the results were overwhelming, and I donā€™t think itā€™s a big jump to say the refereeing was incredibly poor for us those years and there was a subconscious anti-Arsenal bias among the referees (which tend to represent the most Brexiter style brains of the FA).

Cā€™mon Robincita, thatā€™s too easy.

1 Like

What period are we referring to as being Diabyā€™s peak? I figure I should at least take the time to find that out before replying to say the answer is obviously Kante regardless of when Diabyā€™s peak was.

Donā€™t agree. Look at some of these challenges and then look at the players reactions.
Instead of getting angry they turn there backs.
Might come across as a caveman here but Chelsea and United players got mad and got even.
Lack of leadership for me turned too blame culture.
Teams tapped into the fact you could intimidate us. Itā€™s ultimately why we threw the title when Eduardo took the injury at Birmingham.
The fact we went years of being wound up going to fucking Stoke, tells you all you need to know.

The kick us off the park thing came in after the invinsibles. See the United game at OT. Teams saw that and decided to adopt it. Which saw Diaby, Eduardo and Wilshereā€™s careers pretty much destroyed

1 Like

The goal at Anfield on 01:06 was monstrous. One of those passages of play Iā€™ve watched over and over again. I LOVED that Arsenal team. Unique talent at his best.

Ahh goals 9 & 10 away to Villa and Newcastle were fackn filthhhhhhh

3 Likes

No it didnā€™t. It was there but not allowed to prosper with Keown Paddy and company. Been around in English football for years. All top sides historically had put up with it and employed there hard men to combat it.
Leeds in the 70s, Liverpool had Sounds, Whelan and MacMahon types. Arsenal under Graham had Davis and Rocky and Thomas who could all play and dish it out. United had Keane, Butt etc and Chelsea basically everyone.

Brilliant finish. He was great finisher usually, I was always very confidend when he was in a goalscoring opportunity. (at one point I even thought he should play as a striker)

Such a presence on that first touch too, big stride and absolute leather behind the strike. You canā€™t give this guy space to drive into heā€™s an animal.

1 Like

Such a fucking robbery that tie. :rage:

Buf been a long time since I watched an Abou video, always makes me wanna cry :sob: :sob:

Too much to see him celebrating after goals :cry:

1 Like

From 3pm until 5pm on the day of that one Liverpool game

7 Likes

You have the likes of Pogba commend Diaby which is kind of surprising given Diaby hasnā€™t had much time in the spotlight.
A great talent tarnished by injuries. Hopefully he is doing well mentally now. I think most people would have a hard time dealing with such predicament.

Nonsense

Praised by peak brexit baller Rooney too

1 Like